Assistant Controller at Uplight
Do you dream about creating a more sustainable future? At Uplight, we are motivating energy users and providers to accelerate the clean energy ecosystem. Working with over 80 of the world’s leading electric and gas utilities, Uplight provides an end-to-end customer energy experience. Uplight delivers personalized experiences that customers have now come to expect–improving satisfaction, increasing revenue, reducing the cost to serve, and contributing to carbon reduction goals. We are B Corp certified, enabling us to put our values into action by not only making decisions for the benefit of our shareholders, but also for our customers, environment, employees, and community.
We are seeking an Assistant Controller to join our team and help us achieve our ambitious goals for our business and the planet.
What you get to do:
- Directly supervise two-five employees, and indirectly supervise an additional 3-5 employees.
- Provide amazing leadership, training/coaching, and thought leadership to the Accounting Team.
- The GL is yours to own. You are responsible for our actual results making sure that the close is done completely and accurately.
- Continue to streamline the monthly close process through the process, technology, and training to get to less than a 5-day close.
- Play a key role in company GAAP compliance through knowledge of accounting standards and practices.
- Responsible for ensuring financial controls are properly followed and implemented (SOD, Reviews, etc).
- Overall responsibility for all accounting functions from AP, AR, Fixed assets to account recs, to journal entries. Responsible for ensuring the proper reviews are implemented and maintained.
- Liaison with FP&A and ensure the two teams operate in lockstep.
- Manage any international accounting requirements.
- Manage Cash forecast Process for the company and reporting to the Controller and CFO.
- Serve as a liaison with management on e-commerce accounting and weigh in on key process decisions.
- Participate in the Insurance renewal and compliance program.
- Interact closely with management and executives and provide key analysis on areas for the business to get better.
- Lead and direct annual financial statement audit, year-end tax filings, and other compliance audits.
- Participate in special projects, ad hoc requests, or other duties as needed.
Skills and experience are necessary, but we hire on value alignment first, so if you feel you would be a good fit with us, still consider applying.
What you will contribute:
- Bring a ONETEAM attitude where you are willing to dig in and help where needed
- A high degree of OWNERSHIP
- Value of High Performance both from yourself and that team you manage
- High degree of Do the Right Thing in all we do in Accounting
What you bring to Uplight:
- 7+ years of progressive accounting experience, including 3+ years of supervisory experience of multiple team members.
- Excellent Microsoft computer skills and familiarity with Accounting ERP systems (NetSuite a plus).
- Ability to work with large amounts of data.
- Ability to identify problems and discrepancies, independently perform research and analysis of causes, and recommend corrective actions.
- Collaborative style with the ability to communicate clearly and precisely on technical and operational issues.
- High attention to detail.
- Desire to achieve excellent project outcomes, and exceed expectations in a fast-paced, constantly evolving environment.
What makes working at Uplight amazing:
In addition to all the standard medical and dental benefits, that kick in Day 1, we:
- Are proud to be over 300+ rebels with an important cause by helping to create a more sustainable planet.
- Are committed to the environment, our employees, and our communities.
- Are focused on career growth by following defined career ladders
- Take our work and mission seriously and….we love to laugh!
- Provide a 401k Match
- Have an innovative flexible time-off policy
- Keep you energized with plenty of food and drink
Uplight provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.