Wordpress/PHP Developer, Soapbox at The Motley Fool
The Motley Fool is looking for a developer to help build our suite of technology tools and services for one of our newest (and coolest) business lines - Soapbox Financial Network.
The Motley Fool's mission is to make the world smarter, happier, and richer, and Soapbox is tasked with taking that to the next level. We're providing readers with valuable financial information beyond The Motley Fool’s traditional coverage of the stock market. Soapbox is bringing together an array of smart, insightful, expert storytellers on finance-related topics from budgeting to travel hacks to the FIRE movement and beyond. Our goal is to help readers improve their financial lives and raise up exciting voices who are aligned with our mission.
Our small team has an exciting startup feel with the confidence and capital of an established and beloved brand. In this role, we’re looking for a skilled Wordpress developer who is intellectually curious and loves to learn. We need someone who can come up with big ideas, fix little problems, and everything in between. The ideal candidate can balance requests from the team with proactive problem-solving while staying focused on the highest value projects. You will hit the ground running in our fast-paced and growing team where your work will directly impact our purpose and business goals.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Entrepreneurial self-starter who is comfortable moving quickly, tackling a wide range of issues, without hand-holding, in a small startup environment.
- Highly skilled, detail-oriented PHP Developer well-versed in modern best practices such as TDD.
- Deep experience with writing code for WordPress as a CMS.
- Knowledge of core actions & filters, the WordPress REST API, and how to create plugins using OOP.
- Comfortable blurring the line between traditional back-end and front-end development, often integrating PHP with client-side frameworks and Ajax.
- Demonstrated preference for choosing tools that are appropriate for solving problems and not because of tech fashion trends (although we do like to stay innovative!).
- Familiarity with The Motley Fool’s mission, purpose, and ethos.
- Excellent communication skills with stakeholders.
Not required, but it sure would be great if you also had:
- Experience working in a publishing or financial services company
- Working knowledge of WordPress 5.0 and Gutenberg editor
- Examples of open source projects you have started or contributed to