Value Stream Manager - Principal Industrial Engineer at Ball Aerospace
At Ball Aerospace, we care about the health and safety of our team members, their families and our communities. Ball Aerospace will comply with Executive Order 14042 and all team members will be required to provide proof of completed vaccination status as a condition of employment as stated within the Order, subject to approved medical or religious accommodations.
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Operations Strategic Support Unit plays a fundamental role in enabling efficient business and program execution – from technologies and investments to supply chain, manufacturing and test operations, facilities management, and information technology services.
Value Stream Leader – Principal Industrial Engineer
At Ball Aerospace’s Westminster Colorado location, we develop and manufacture state of the art RF & sensor technologies that are integrated onto tactical missile and aircraft platforms. If you’d like to join our rapidly growing operations team in a mission to help the warfighter, this could be an ideal role for you.
The Value Stream Leader will support activities within our Aerospace Manufacturing Center located in Westminster, CO. This is a challenging and dynamic role that requires a strong and proven operational leader who is well versed in Lean Manufacturing and Lean Product and Process Development principles and execution. The ideal candidate will develop a strong relationship with the internal customer, define value for both development and manufacturing value streams, identify the current condition and drive target conditions through the application of Lean thinking and methods. This role will initially require a heavy focus on tactics to understand the current condition of operations and drive the development of “Lean” processes. Over time it will evolve into a larger leadership / Lean coaching position focused more on the development of people.
What You’ll Do:
- Develop and maintain strong customer relationships, establishing a deep understanding of their environment, and generating a clear understanding of the challenges they face.
- Engage the value stream team members to clearly understand all value creating activities.
- Create awareness and develop alignment regarding the Lean Manufacturing & LPPD principles.
- Construct a sociotechnical strategy, using our operational True North as guidance, to apply PDCA cycles converting current conditions to target conditions.
- Be accountable for developing and managing the VS operational strategy, using Hoshin Kanri, to effectively connect strategy with tactics.
- Identify structural processes and/or systems that stand in the way of value creating activities. Conceptualize and drive countermeasures that improve the flow of information and hardware
- Drive the creation and implementation of necessary process metrics to understand the health of operations while providing a baseline for continuous improvement.
- Support the Industrial Operations team with forecasting and planning manufacturing growth including floorspace, equipment capacity, tooling, and labor required to meet quantities and schedules.
- Perform and/or mentor junior staff on a broad range of analysis including Value Stream Mapping, queueing analysis, production planning and control, SMED, process flow diagrams, FMEA, quality function deployment, etc.
- Drive the evolution of our 6S housekeeping effort as well as the development of our mixed model manufacturing work cell.
- Engage and report to senior operational and engineering leaders, team members, and stakeholders to gain alignment on implementation plans and success metrics.
- Maintain an intense focus and continuous presence where the work is performed. Take daily Gemba walks, go and see to gather the facts, and develop a deep and thorough understanding of the process.
- Influence others with a Lean coaching approach (respect for people, “go and see” behavior, put problems first, and continuously intensify collaboration).
- Be accountable, drive accountability within the organization, and put problems first with a sense of urgency.
- Maintain a strong focus on safety, training, and the development of people.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS/BA degree or higher in Engineering or a related field is required plus 12 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- A proven Industrial Engineering skillset that demonstrates a strong aptitude for queueing analysis, value stream analysis, and project management.
- Strong Lean Manufacturing knowledge and practical application experience.
- A creative approach to problem solving and an appetite for experimentation.
- A problem-solving endurance that persists in the wake of initial setbacks.
- Experience aligning and influencing fellow employees without direct functional responsibilities.
- Strong presentation skills to communicate with senior leadership.
- An innate mentality that seeks dynamic gains over static optimizations.
- A strong focus on the horizontal flow of value across several supporting organizations.
- Demonstrated experience successfully leading projects and/or teams.
- Demonstrated aptitude for collaboration, recognition of individuals strengths and areas for improvement, and an ability to manage misalignment between individuals and/or groups.
- Ball Aerospace is a drug-free workplace, which is imperative to the health and safety of all employees and is required as a condition of receiving contracts from federal agencies. Please remember that regardless of the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and other states, possession and use continues to be illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act. This includes the use of some CBD products. A post-offer, pre-employment drug test is a condition of employment.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or cleanroom, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $131,500 - $166,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.