Zayo provides mission-critical bandwidth to the world’s most impactful companies, fueling the innovations that are transforming our society. Zayo’s 133,000-mile network in North America and Europe includes extensive metro connectivity to thousands of buildings and data centers. Zayo’s communications infrastructure solutions include dark fiber, private data networks, wavelengths, Ethernet, dedicated Internet access, and colocation services. Zayo owns and operates a Tier 1 IP Backbone and 44 carrier-neutral data centers. Through its Cloudlink service, Zayo provides low latency private connectivity that attaches enterprises to their public cloud environments. Zayo serves wireless and wireline carriers, media, tech, content, finance, healthcare and other large enterprises.
The Transport Sr. Engineer/Architect is responsible for testing, certification and documentation of Optical Transport equipment and services on the Zayo Core and Metro Networks. The successful candidate for this position will have expert working knowledge of DWDM / Optical Transport hardware solutions from a variety of vendors including Ciena, Nokia and Infinera; Individual will research and lead the development of technology and services roadmap with internal stakeholders and strategic vendors; Individual will provide thought leadership to internal stake holders as required to define new products and services; Individual will provide expert level support and collaborate with planning, engineering and operations teams on key projects including new hardware implementations, services and network optimization; Individual will lead and develop life cycle plans for Optical transport solutions and services;
- Lead the development of test plans and testing automation strategy as required to evaluate and certify new optical transport hardware, software and services.
- Provide thought leadership, technical guidance and recommendations to internal teams and stakeholders as required to define new products and services.
- Collaborate with sales and support teams to review and respond to RFP/RFQ documents.
- Provide technical support and expertise for major initiatives, customer bids or process.
- Create and publish standard documentation of new hardware, software and configurations as required to support sales and service implementation.
- Collaborate with vendors and internal teams on First Office Application.
- Research, develop and publish life-cycle plan and roadmaps for new and existing optical transport technologies and services with internal stakeholders and strategic vendors
- Lead Network upgrade and optimization activities and provide Tier4 support to the NOC and operations teams as required to resolve the most complex outages.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor of Science degree (B. S.)/ Engineering degree or equivalent from a four-year University or technical school.
- 5-10 years of experience in the telecommunications or service provider industry.
- 5-10 years of experience with DWDM / Optical Transport design, solution Engineering, Implementation and Architecture.
- 2-5 years of experience in a lab environment creating test plans, implementing testing automation and certifying hardware and software for production implementation.
- 2-5 years of experience using lab testing tools including scopes and traffic generators.
- Experience with optical transport solutions from vendors including Ciena, Nokia and Infinera.
- Expert knowledge in following areas:
- DWDM / Optical Transport solution Engineering, Implementation and Architecture.
- Telecommunication standards, protocols and testing (DWDM, Ethernet, OTN, SONET, SDH, and SAN);
- DWDM architecture, link engineering and signal flow (FOADM / ROADM, fixed and flex)
- Software development for network automation and scripting (Python preferred) in Windows and Linux environment;
- Network security in a DWDM / Transport network environment;
- Optical fiber technical specifications, standards, testing and link engineering
- Optical Transport / DWDM Data Communication Network Design;
- Competitive Compensation
- Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, 401 (k), disability and life insurance
- Fitness Membership discounts
- Generous time off policy including paid parental leave