Outrider, the pioneer in autonomous yard operations for logistics hubs, helps large enterprises improve safety and increase efficiency. The only company exclusively focused on automating all aspects of yard operations, Outrider eliminates manual tasks that are hazardous and repetitive. Outrider’s mission is to drive the rapid adoption of sustainable freight transportation by deploying zero-emission systems. Outrider is a private company backed by NEA, 8VC, and other top-tier investors. For more information, visit www.outrider.ai
The Autonomous Vehicle (AV) Test Operations Technician will report to the Test Operations Lead and will support the Engineering teams by monitoring the heavy truck AVs and test environment during testing to ensure their safe operation, and maintaining the AVs. The AV Operations Technician is primarily responsible for the safe operation of the AVs, which may operate in manual, partial-automation or full-automation modes, and therefore is the authority during testing on identifying and correcting potential safety risks. The successful candidate will enjoy a dynamic work environment, has strong focus and attention to detail, is comfortable making fast and sound decisions, and a safety-first mindset.
The Outrider system is comprised of: Electric Vehicle (EV) platform, AV sensors and compute, robotic trailer-connect arm, and V2I infrastructure. The Test Operations team is responsible for various types of testing including but not limited to R&D, Software/System Performance, and Reliability, all under real-world operating conditions that mirror the environments of our customers.
This position plays an essential role in helping deliver a safety-critical system for industrial automation. The opportunity offers the successful candidate the chance to help develop a market-defining enterprise product that combines autonomous vehicle technology with a software-as-a-service (SaaS) business model.
The ideal candidate will embrace our goal to drive zero-emission, self-driving vehicle adoption, and help us realize our potential to define, build, and lead a new, category of robotic automation for the enterprise.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Attentively ensure the safe operation of AV heavy truck test vehicles for up to 10 hrs/day, either from inside the cab or remotely via a web-based dispatching/monitoring user interface
- Embody a "Safety Steward" mindset: conduct daily on-site safety inspections of the test trucks, equipment and area, and proactively propose safety improvements
- Use sound judgment to determine appropriate on-the-spot responses to vehicle performance and safety issues
- Provide insightful and thorough verbal and/or written feedback to the Engineering teams on system performance
- Perform preventative maintenance inspections and services on AV heavy trucks, including but not limited to preparation, installation, and maintenance of vehicle hardware
- Assist Engineering teams in root-cause analysis of issues found during test
- Effectively communicate issues and subjective performance to the AV Dispatchers, Test Operations Lead and peers on the Engineering teams
- Help Engineering and Commercial teams conduct product demos to potential and existing customers
- Help train new AV Dispatchers and AV Technicians as the team grows
- Travel inside the US, as needed, to perform field work, training, or customer support (up to 20%)
- 5 or more years experience operating heavy-duty trucks and trailers either in an Engineering development environment or over-the-road context
- Maintain a current Class A Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) valid in Colorado and in any other state of the United States, as requested (the CDL must be carried at all times on the job)
- Clean driving record for previous 5 years
- Flexibility for day, night, and/or weekend work, as needed (and sometimes on short notice)
- Experience operating heavy-duty trucks and trailers either in an Engineering development environment or over-the-road
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Sterling references
- Experience testing reliability or durability of robotic systems, autonomous vehicles/trucks, or other automated distribution yard products
- Experience with the software development life cycle, modern software/hardware/system testing methods, and continuous integration
- Experience working in a highly talented R&D or engineering environment
- Familiarity and comfortable with IT software packages such as MS Office, Google Suite, Linux and command-line interface