Test and Instrumentation Engineer at Boom Supersonic
| Greater Denver Area
Sorry, this job was removed at 6:19 a.m. (MST) on Tuesday, February 9, 2021
About Boom Supersonic
Boom Supersonic is the Denver-based startup bringing supersonic flight back to the skies with Overture. As the world’s fastest airliner, Overture is designed and committed to industry-leading standards of speed, safety and sustainability. Flights twice as fast as today’s commercial airplanes, means we can go twice as far—bringing more people, places, and cultures into our lives.
Boom is the first commercial airplane manufacturer to commit to a carbon-neutral flight test program and to build sustainability into its entire aircraft program. Founded in 2014, Boom has assembled a team of over 140 full-time employees who have made contributions to over 220 air and spacecraft programs.
Are you passionate about building the future of transportation? Help us make aviation history.
The primary responsibilities will include managing the flight test control room software, the testing, troubleshooting, and calibration of aircraft instrumentation, supporting ground and flight test operations, and supporting simulator and control room training sessions for XB-1, the first independently developed supersonic jet and history's fastest civil aircraft.
- Own the XB-1 flight test control room systems and software
- Work with flight test and engineering teams to develop test plans, instrumentation requirements, and control room displays to support real-time test monitoring
- Support instrumentation checkout and calibration during aircraft integration, ground, and flight testing
- Interface with test article design and analysis teams to define test configuration and data requirements.
- Contribute to test card development and review in collaboration with other engineering disciplines and flight test personnel.
- Own the process for flight test data collection, storage, and retrieval
- Support the development of scripts and configuration management tools
- Support test readiness reviews, pre-flight checks, and pre/posttest briefings.
- Provide mission control room support and make real-time decisions regarding safety, efficiency, and effectiveness.
- Conduct and contribute to pre-flight and post-test data analyses to support anomaly identification and resolution
- A Bachelors degree in a science or engineering program
- 5+ years industry experience
- Experience with the design, integration and/or troubleshooting of electrical or instrumentation systems
- A working knowledge of sensors and flight test instrumentation, analog and digital I/O, and data synchronization
- Ability to read and create wiring diagrams and troubleshoot wiring on test bench or on vehicle
- Experience working with scripting languages and working on a Linux command line
- The ability to travel to support the job duties
- Excellent communication skills
Nice to Have:
- Experience interfacing with I/O hardware including analog, discrete, and serial data
- Experience with IADS flight test display software
- Experience with aircraft telemetry systems
- Experience with revision control systems
- Previous experience with new, experimental, or modified aircraft, launch vehicles or spacecraft
- Ability to work irregular hours and work days
- Experience integrating COTS components including navigation, air data, and communication equipment into airframes
- Experience with homebuilt aircraft and experimental aviation a plus
Degrees and Certifications:
- An undergraduate degree in a STEM field is required
- A master’s degree in Aerospace or Electrical Engineering is preferred
- Pilot's license and/or Aircraft Mechanic (A&P) license is a strong plus
To conform to U.S. Government aerospace technology export regulations (ITAR and EAR), applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here (https://www.pmddtc.state.gov/?id=ddtc_public_portal_itar_landing)
Boom is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
Want to build a faster future? Come join Boom.
Read Full Job Description