Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Technical Specialist Senior - Electrical/ Cable Harness Assembly
What You’ll Do:
- Assist process control engineers to develop, qualify, validate and document fabrication processes for Printed Wiring Assemblies (PWAs) including soldering, lead forming, polymerics, to meet NASA-STD-8739 and IPC
- J-STD requirements.
- Assist process control engineers to develop, qualify, validate and document fabrication processes for cable/harness assemblies to meet IPC requirements.
- Provide advanced instruction and training on specialized procedures and techniques to other employees and may develop processes and procedures essential to departmental compliance.
- Assist engineers in the development and implementation of process qualifications and validations for PWA and cable/harness fabrication processes.
- Test and troubleshoot electrical components for research & development projects, flight applications or ground stations.
- Perform new equipment validation, equipment and process maintenance and troubleshooting on electrical and cable/harness assembly equipment.
- Perform limited design or statistical process control analysis for technical applications.
- May design, develop, test and troubleshoot prototype and breadboard electronics, hardware and software applications.
- Maintain electronic build records, required logs, records, and reports in accordance with company policies/procedures and government regulations.
- Review and accurately interpret schematics, drawings, specifications, and procedures for completeness and compliance to contract requirements.
- Assimilate diverse data and recommend action to address unique and complex technical situations.
- Contribute to written and oral proposals and design reviews, internal review boards, specifications, work standards, and business processes.
- Make continuous improvement suggestions, participate and lead projects in area of responsibility.
- Effective communications and regular interaction with higher level management, customers, and internal and external auditors.
- May participate in industry-wide working groups or seminars and be recognized by industry experts, suppliers, and customers.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- High School diploma or equivalent plus 16 years or more related experience or a related 2-year technical degree and 14 years or more related experience.
- Each higher-level related degree, i.e., Bachelor’s or Master’s, may substitute for two years of related experience. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Must have at least 4 years of experience developing and/or improving electrical assembly processes to meet customer requirements.
- Certification to IPC workmanship standards preferred.
- Must be able to work directly with manufacturing engineers, technicians, and process control engineers to meet end item requirements and program goals.
- Must be willing to learn additional electronics manufacturing processes, including electrostatic discharge (ESD)protection.
- Ability to read and interpret engineering drawings, process documents and procedures.
- Ability to learn new software systems quickly.
- Ability to operate effectively independently and as part of team with customers, managers, auditors, engineers, assemblers and technicians.
- Work is performed in an office environment, laboratory, cleanroom, or production floor.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $37.74 - $51.20 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. Click here to learn more.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.