Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
We're hiring several Technical Leads across the product areas below. We're looking for people to help us deliver on our greatest ambitions, whilst driving the highest standards of engineering excellence.
Xero Practice Growth
The Practice Growth team has one of the best challenges within Xero; to create innovative solutions, that help our amazing accountant and bookkeeping partners grow their practice.
To ensure that what we build, will be used, will be loved, and will meet our mission, we follow a "Lean Startup" mindset. We aim to discover as quickly as possible whether something will fail, or flourish, through rapid delivery and experimentation.
We are a collaborative team, that supports each other, and the teams around us. We are human, and we never take ourselves too seriously. We value quality and passionately care about our customers.
The Payroll team's purpose is to make it easier for small business owners to pay and manage their people. We take the complexity out of Payroll for employers to save them time and ensure that their employees are paid correctly.
As a Technical Lead in Payroll, you will help define and deliver our technical strategy within your team and ensure that we are creating a customer focused experience that people can trust.
What you'll do
- You'll be a keystone of our product teams; The focal point where technical decisions meet strategic thinking.
- You'll work with your cross-functional team to deliver beautiful software that is valuable to our customers.
- You'll lead the solution design for the work coming into your team.
- You'll be a guiding light and help your team to balance delivery and engineering excellence (quality, performance, security, devops, tech modernisation).
- Lead by example and solve interesting and challenging delivery problems across product boundaries. Additionally supporting and mentoring other engineers in the team.
- We are looking for a passionate developer and just as important as the technical experience is the ability to be #human and take ownership of your environment. We are so lucky to have excellent people to work with and offices to work in and we'd love you to be a part of it.
- You'll have a willingness to learn, offer your ideas and collaborate to provide technical designs you are proud of. We inspire you to show your real passion for technology, help and inspire others in Xero and within the community we support.
- This role will enable you to grow into a Principal Engineer or Architecture role, as you demonstrate the ability to influence the organisation around you towards engineering excellence.
What you'll bring with you
- You prefer to code collaboratively, working together as a team with high levels of communication, learning from more senior engineers as well as mentoring those with less experience.
- You are passionate about shipping high quality, well tested software through automation, proven best practices and appropriate design patterns.
- You take ownership of your code in production, using metrics and customer feedback to guide technical priorities and improvements.
- You work with a focus on helping your team succeed in their mission.
- You have a passion to grow, learn and bring new ideas and concepts to the team.
- You have experience demonstrating your ability to envision web-based services in a distributed environment that meets customer needs and solves business problems.
- You have in depth knowledge of design patterns in development (eg SOLID) and platform architecture (Microservices, Event Driven, DDD)
Xero is continuing to grow and so are the opportunities to join us!
You can choose to perform this role:
In one of our #beautiful offices (Melbourne, Sydney, Canberra, Brisbane)
Flexibly, through a hybrid of in office and remote working styles
As a permanent remote worker at Xero we want to ensure you are getting the same #beautiful employee experience as our in-office Xero’s. Permanent remote Xero’s will benefit from a virtual ergonomic work assessment and funding to assist with the improvement of your at home work setup. Xero will also fund up to 4 trips a year to your most relevant region Xero office. You are part of our #team and we want to see you thrive!
At Xero we support many types of flexible working arrangements that allow you to balance your work, your life and your passions. We offer a great remuneration package including shares plus a range of leave options to suit your well-being. Our work environment encourages continuous improvement and career development and you’ll get to work with the latest technology.
Our collaborative and inclusive culture is one we’re immensely proud of. We know that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate successfully. We are a member of Pride in Diversity, in recognition of our inclusive workplace. So, from the moment you step through our doors, you’ll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.