Technical Director SW (Kubernetes)
Are you data-driven? We at NetApp believe in the transformative power of data – to expand customer touchpoints, to foster greater innovation, and to optimize operations. We are designed for simplicity, optimized to protect, created to embrace future opportunity, and open to enrich choice. We are the data authority for hybrid cloud, and we are helping our customers realize the full potential of their data. Join us and together we will do our best work!
As a Technical Director of Software Engineering you provide a strong leadership and consultative role to the function as related to driving product development and strategy. As part of the Research and Development function, the overall focus of the group is on competitive market and customer requirements, technology advances, product quality, product cost and time-to-market.
The Software Development function is responsible for enhancements to existing products as well as new product development. You will be a Kubernetes expert particularly for On Premise products to help execute on a multiple year roadmap.
- A major part of your responsibility will be to work on issues that impact development success or address future concepts, products or technologies.
- This individual will provide future technical vision to the Software Development group. - Successfully negotiate strategic and other issues which effect the business internally and externally.
- Must be a seasoned communicator and presenter.
- Maintain affiliations and relationships with academic and industry technical experts globally and serve as external spokesperson for the company.
- Provide leadership and guidance to senior engineers.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills are essential, particularly presentation skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively with other engineers and senior professionals across functions; and have strong influencing and leadership skills.
- Recognized expert in virtualization technologies like VMware, KVM, Kubevirt, Kubernetes and Docker. OpenStack or CloudStack contribution or experience is a plus.
- Working knowledge and experience with cloud services like AWS and GCE.
- A strong understanding of the most complex concepts related to computer architecture, data structures and programming practices.
- Ability to develop strategic project plans and schedules for complex projects or new product developments.
The tasks a technical director is responsible for are critical to the organization's future, have wide implications, and there may be multiple outcomes. A technical director will apply many years of expertise or unique technical/industry knowledge in solving problems that are unique and extremely complex given time, budget and resource constraints. - Demonstrate leadership and vision in determining and driving strategy decisions, process changes, business initiatives, etc.
This individual must work effectively with staff to executive levels employees within the function, across functions and outside of the organization.- This individual is a recognized expert and exercises wide latitude in determining own objectives and approaches to critical assignments.- Is seen as a leader by others in the function and organization.
Typically requires a minimum of 15 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree; or 12 years and a Master’s degree; or a PhD with 8 years experience; or equivalent experience.