Systems Staff Consultant - Tactical Solutions at Ball Aerospace
Clearance Requirement: A current, active Secret security clearance is required.
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn , Facebook , Twitter or Instagram .
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers' missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Systems Staff Consultant - Tactical Solutions
This is leadership position for an experienced engineer responsible for promoting and guiding consistency across Ball Aerospace programs and solutions. The Chief Engineer will have oversight responsibility and will serve as the primary interface to the customer and program management. Leadership responsibilities include but are not limited to developing and maintaining team culture and defining performance expectations. This is a full-time position that reports to the Manager of Tactical Solutions Systems and Test Engineering.
What You'll Do:
- Primary interface to Tactical Solutions Strategic Business Unit SBU for coordinating support of lifecycle gated review development for various mission areas.
- Coordinate and prioritize activities of supporting liaisons.
- Deliver architectural solutions that meet customer expectations.
- Supports program risk management process and serves as technical risk management lead.
- Lead expectations, preparations, and delivery for major gate reviews (SRR, PDR, CDR, PSR) and develop SE-related checklists for those reviews.
- Organize the system engineering team and develop the System Engineering (SE) Execution Plan.
- Manage cost and personnel associated with SE effort.
- Clearly define SE roles, responsibilities, expectations, products.
- Lead development of architectural systems designs.
- Oversee or lead anomaly resolution and failure review boards.
- Build and maintain customer relationships - collaborate on customer requirements.
- Serve as control account manager.
- Drive re-use of engineering solutions to meet customer needs.
- Review early design solutions (notionally at proposal phase or at System Design Review) to promote consistent use of existing engineering solutions.
- Coordinate and staff Independent Review Teams (IRT) and provide senior-level IRT support for programs when requested.
- Engineering Review Board (ERB) and Material Review Board (MRB) oversight responsibility.
- Define Mission Concept of Operations (CONOPS) if required.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You'll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 16 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master's Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Technical knowledge of the following areas: Fault protection, structural design, mechanical design, data products, electronics, wire harnesses and software engineering.
- Knowledge to include RF antenna and/or microwave technologies.
- Astute and dynamic leadership based on the Inspire, Connect and Achieve (ICA) model, self-motivation and ability to work in a team of high professional individuals.
- Ability to lead, perform and deliver even when requirements, top level flow down and constraints are vaguely defined or not defined at all.
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to effectively lead group discussions, ability to set priorities and to delegate as required to meet objectives.
- Experience in multidisciplinary teamwork environment with small team leadership responsibilities.
- Superb verbal, written and presentation skills are required.
- Have been technical lead on a large aerospace program.
- A current, active Secret security clearance is required.
- Ball Aerospace is a drug-free workplace, which is imperative to the health and safety of all employees and is required as a condition of receiving contracts from federal agencies. Please remember that regardless of the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and other states, possession and use continues to be illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act. This includes the use of some CBD products. A post-offer, pre-employment drug test is a condition of employment.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Verification that your current security clearance or government customer access meets the requirement for this position will be required.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $163,000 - $205,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.