Systems Engineer at Sling TV
Sling TV L.L.C. provides an over-the-top (internet delivered) television experience on TVs, tablets, gaming consoles, computers, smartphones, smart TVs and other streaming devices. Distributed across a variety of strategic device partners, including Google, Amazon, Apple TV, Microsoft, Roku, Samsung, LG, Comcast, and many others, Sling TV offers two primary domestic streaming services that collectively include more than 100 channels of top content. Featured programmers include Disney/ESPN, NBC, AMC, A&E, EPIX, NFL Network, NBA TV, NHL Networks, Pac-12 Networks, Hallmark, Viacom, and more. For Spanish-speaking customers, Sling Latino offers a suite of standalone and extra Spanish-programming packages tailored to the U S. Hispanic market. And for those seeking International content, Sling International currently provides more than 300 channels in 20 languages (available across multiple devices) to U.S. households.
Sling TV is the #1 Live TV Streaming Service Sling TV is a next-generation service that meets the entertainment needs of today’s contemporary viewers. Visit www.Sling.com. We are driven by curiosity, pride, adventure, and a desire to win – it’s in our DNA. We’re looking for people with boundless energy, intelligence, and an overwhelming need to achieve to join our team as we embark on the next chapter of our story.
Opportunity is here. We are Sling.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
At Sling TV, we think services based on big bills, bundles, and useless channels are a thing of the past. Sling TV is uniting cord-cutters and smarter consumers everywhere with simply priced mobile access to the top live TV networks — join our team of spirited innovators in changing the way we watch TV. Our office is light, lively, and buzzing with dynamic people. We love what we do, we love who we work with, and we love TV. Brainstorm with us, build with us, banter with us, and even backpack with us — start your next adventure with Sling TV.
We are seeking a dynamic Systems Engineer to join our Englewood based team. This is an exciting position in a fast moving project that requires the ability of candidates to hit the ground running. What we’re building is revolutionary and every employee participates in a profit sharing program. The ideal candidate will assist with development, troubleshooting, testing and maintenance of the entire Sling TV eco systems and Adaptive Players. Come be a part of changing the face of TV!
Primary responsibilities fall into the following categories:
- Frequent travel to meet development teams.
- Exploratory testing of all Sling TV clients to reproduce known defects on any possible device.
- Parse highly verbose system/server/adaptive player logs and network traces capturing communications across all the components.
- Validate XML and JSON data.
Tool development and enhancement:
- Drive improvements and define processes as needed.
- Analyzes competitive products and technologies and makes appropriate suggestions to influence product / technology direction.
- Exploratory testing to expose un-known system component defects.
- Create detailed Sling TV Eco System documentation.
- API testing for all backend system components.
Skills - Experience and Requirements
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- BS Degree (CS or CE) and 3 years of Software Test Engineering/Systems Engineering experience, or Masters and 2 years of Software Test Engineering/Systems Engineering experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 3 years of experience with some or all phases of testing: System Integration, Functional, Regression, and Exploratory/Ad Hoc testing.
- At least 3 years of experience with STBs or experience in testing software products, system level understanding in telecommunication or digital media domain.
- At least 3 years of experience with MPEG analysis, video compression (MPEG, H.264 / AVC) and audio (MPEG, Dolby Digital, PCM etc.).
- A year of experience with HLS, encoding, transcoding technologies and Streaming on IP devices.
- At least 1 years of hands on experience with Unix/Linux Operating Systems and networking technologies – LAN, WAN, TCP/IP.
- 1 year of hands on experience with packet capture tools such as Wireshark, Charles, Fiddler etc.
- Strong understanding of DASH, DRM.
- Ability to write intermediate level database queries in SQL.
- Knowledge of Android, iOS, HTLM, OS X, and/or Windows.
- Knowledge of UNIX shell, Perl or similar scripting languages and knowledge of writing programs to automate manual tasks a plus.
- Knowledge of networking technologies – IPV4, IPV6, switching and routing.
- Installing, configuring, managing and maintaining networking equipment: Routers, Switches.
- Ability to quickly troubleshoot problems and analyze failures to minimize outages and service interruptions.