Systems Engineer Senior / Systems Engineer Principal - MBSE Lead at Ball Aerospace (Greater Denver Area, CO)
Ball Aerospace is powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus. We pioneer discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most. We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely.
At our core, we're passionate, committed people who believe together we can achieve extraordinary things. We work collaboratively with each other, our customers and partners to solve the world's greatest challenges. That means listening to one another, providing feedback and partnering across all levels. We value our inclusive culture where everyone is heard equally and creativity thrives. Each team member is fully invested in our mission and we bring an energy to work every day that propels our business and motivates us all to Go Beyond.®
For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn , Facebook , Twitter or Instagram .
The Engineering Strategic Capabilities Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers' missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Systems Engineer Senior / Systems Engineer Principal - MBSE Lead
Ball Aerospace is reimagining the implementation of our systems engineering practices to include methodologies in a digital environment. We are seeking a Systems Engineer with Model-Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) experience who will lead the development, implementation, adoption, and execution of modern methods, tools, infrastructure, and processes. This role will serve both the Ball Aerospace company, as well as specific projects within our enterprise. You'll transform insights, innovations, and lessons learned on project-specific MBSE initiatives into best-practices and standards that can be leveraged across the enterprise.
What You'll Do:
- Provide technical leadership, mentorship, and guidance to a team of systems engineers to define, direct implementation, an operate complex systems which include spacecraft, instruments and ground systems.
- Advise program leadership on MBSE implementation options.
- Lead program SE teams in the implementation and execution of MBSE practices.
- Utilize MBSE for development of system architectures, concept of operations, and architecture to requirements traceability.
- Consult and facilitate diverse stakeholders in defining and prioritizing opportunities to implement an MBSE approach to realize cost and labor savings and promote efficiency and re-use.
- Plan and manage the cost and technical progress associated with the effort.
- Develop and review guidance and training materials related to architecture modeling, tool usage, processes, assumptions, and limitations. Coordinate amongst practitioners to share best practices, establish style guides, and templates.
- Establish and maintain a repository of architectural modeling data for rapid starts on new projects and proposals.
- Bridge architecture models with physics-based performance models and simulations.
- Collaborate with enterprise PLM/PDM tool transitions, representing the interests of the systems engineering community.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Capabilities Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You'll Need:
- Systems Engineer Senior - BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 8 or more years related experience.
- Systems Engineer Principal - BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 12 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master's Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- A current, active Top Secret with SCI clearance preferred.
- Excellent communication, presentation, facilitation, collaboration, and teaching skills.
- Demonstrated, mentoring, leadership and team building skills preferred.
- Excellent attention to detail while appreciating the bigger picture of the complex and ambitious projects that we take on at Ball.
- Expertise in Cameo Enterprise Architecture, SysML and DoDAF/UAF/UPDM.
- OMG Systems Modeling Language (SysML) Certification (preferred; or experience applying each language construct on complex, multi-user projects).
- Experience utilizing SysML model authoring tools and associated model management capabilities (familiarity with Cameo/MagicDraw, Enterprise Architect, or Rational Rhapsody, e.g.).
- Demonstrated success in leading an organizational/cultural change initiative.
- Experience with multi-domain parametric modeling and optimization, design of experiments, trade space exploration, and surrogate modeling techniques (familiarity with Modelica tools, such as Dymola or Open Modelica, e.g.).
- Experience eliciting, authoring, formalizing, and maintaining concept models and ontologies (familiarity with OWL, Protégé, Cameo Concept Modeler, or similar tools).
- Experience with visualization strategies and tools (familiarity with Tom Sawyer Perspectives, Tableau, or similar tools).
- Experience developing scripts to automate processes (Python, etc.).
- Experience translating customer needs and objectives into capability requirements and soliciting feedback.
- Expert understanding of the traditional systems engineering lifecycle, phases, processes, inputs/outputs, artifacts.
- Experience utilizing requirements database tools (DOORS, Jama, Cameo Requirements Modeler, e.g.).
- Proficiency in MS Office tools and solid computer skills.
- Must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information if required to be subjected to a government security investigation.
On-Site Work Environment: This position requires regular in-person engagement by working on-site three or more days each normally scheduled week in the primary work location. Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
- Ball Aerospace is a drug-free workplace, which is imperative to the health and safety of all employees and is required as a condition of receiving contracts from federal agencies. Please remember that regardless of the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and other states, possession and use continues to be illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act. This includes the use of some CBD products. A post-offer, pre-employment drug test is a condition of employment.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or cleanroom, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE FOR SYSTEMS ENGINEER SENIOR: $133,500 - $168,000 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- HIRING SALARY RANGE FOR SYSTEMS ENGINEER PRINCIPAL: $150,000 - $189,000 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.