Systems Engineer Principal - Payload Systems at Ball Aerospace
Clearance Requirement: A current, active TS/SCI security clearance is required.
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers' missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Systems Engineer Principal – Payload Systems
This engineering position is for an experienced systems engineer who is creative and responsible for leading the development of airborne and/or space borne payload systems.
What You'll Do:
- Support programs from new business to delivery including proposal support, concept development with trades, payload system design, payload integration and test, and post-delivery technical support.
- Perform systems engineering tasks throughout the program or Research and Development (R&D) project lifecycle.
- Understand and lead the decomposition and allocation of electro-optical or RF payload requirements to lower level specifications. Refine requirements as necessary.
- Lead and develop margin management philosophy throughout the program lifecycle.
- Lead and perform the synthesis of payload system performance for compliance and verification of requirements.
- Lead and perform analyses for the development of error trees and Technical Performance Measures (TPMs).
- Mange system interfaces and lead the development of payload Interface Control Documents (ICDs).
- Lead, with the coordination of AI&T engineers, the test configurations, verification approaches, and analysis plans necessary for payload verification.
- Lead the development, test and evaluation of hardware, software, support equipment and systems as required.
- Prepare and give presentations to peers, management, and/or customers.
- Support program gates such as the Preliminary Design Review (PDR), Critical Design Review (CDR), Functional Configuration Audit (FCA) and payload sell-off.
- Support and/or lead payload technical proposal development including estimates of systems team labor and schedule.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You'll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 12 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master's Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Advanced computer application skills, such as Matlab, C, C++, IDL, STK, DOORS, and other analytical tools preferred.
- Experience executing RF, tactical or electro-optical system programs from concept development and program kick- off through post-delivery support.
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills-ability to coordinate activities of a diverse team, predict and meet schedules, resolve disconnects.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to understand the customer's needs and provide clear communication of proposed solutions to both Ball management and the customer.
- Work is performed primarily in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Verification that your current security clearance or government customer access meets the requirement for this position will be required.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $142,000 - $179,000 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.