SVP, Software Engineering at GHX
For two decades GHX has led healthcare into the digital age with our open and neutral electronic trading exchange (GHX Exchange). Today, the GHX Exchange is the most advanced, sophisticated, and scalable e-commerce platform available in healthcare. Our products and value-added services offer sophisticated tools for automating all phases of the procure-to-pay
and order-to-cash supply chain by helping customers drive workflow efficiencies in procurement, contract management, order lifecycle management, vendor credentialing and compliance, business intelligence, and invoice and payments.
It began with an aspiration to use the power of the Internet to reduce inefficiencies rampant in the healthcare supply chain. Prompted by increased recognition of those inefficiencies, five of the world's largest medical product manufacturers, Johnson & Johnson, GE Healthcare, Baxter International Inc., Abbott Laboratories, and Medtronic, Inc., founded GHX in 2000.
Since the first purchase order successfully passed through the Exchange that year, we've come a long way. Our strong, long-term relationships with a wide range of healthcare manufacturers, distributors, providers, and group purchasing organizations, has been key to the development of robust technology products that address challenges unique to healthcare and represent, and
balance, the interests of all supply chain stakeholders.
It is our passion and vision for a more operationally efficient healthcare supply chain, helping organizations reduce – not shift – the cost of doing business, paving the way to delivering patient care more effectively. We bring together more than 4,100 healthcare providers, and 600 manufacturers and distributors in North America — and another 1,500 providers and 350
suppliers in Europe — who rely on smart, secure healthcare-focused technology and comprehensive data to automate their business processes and make more informed, timely, and fact-based decisions.
The SVP of Software Engineering, reporting to the Chief Technology Officer (CTO) will lead, manage, and develop a significant part of the GHX Engineering Team. This role will build upon an already strong engineering team and take it to the next level of driving innovation through focus on the customer and thought leadership in engineering practices that increase speed while maintaining world-class stability and security. In addition to leading the engineering function to deliver complex SaaS products to market, this person will be empowered to build a culture of sustained innovation in the organization.
The overall responsibility of the role is to drive engineering excellence in service to rapidly innovate and delight our customers.
Major parts of this responsibility include:
• Dramatically increase innovation by partnering with product management and other disciplines at GHX to create an innovation engine to drive growth
• Formulate, socialize, and execute on GHX's applications engineering strategy to push GHX's products to the next level and drive excellence in operational efficiency
• Attract, develop, and motivate teams to build innovative products in a high-growth, entrepreneurial, results-oriented culture by finding the right balance of offshore and onsite teams
• Provide technology leadership by continuously improving low overhead software engineering processes empowering engineers to innovate fast
The Person – Pivotal Experience and Expertise
Leadership at Scale
• 10+ years' experience in pivotal leadership roles leading engineering groups for large and complex SaaS businesses
• Experience managing leadership-level individuals and managing a broader team of 100+ engineers, including a mix of both offshore and onshore employees.
• Diverse experiences in organizing engineering teams to innovate fast at scale
• Experience in Healthcare tech and/or ERP SaaS is a plus
• Strong technology chops to guide and verify architectural decisions working shoulder to shoulder with strong engineers
• Diverse experiences in fine-tuning the right engineering processes leveraging the culture
of dev-ops to achieve high performance i.e., high throughput @ high levels of stability and security
• Track record of making and signing off on major technical and architectural decisions
Strategic orientation and execution rigor to deliver results
• Experience in creating long term vision for engineering organizations combined with strong organizational change management skills to achieve the vision
• Track record of getting multiple, large, and complex initiatives across the finish line
• Track record of building and launching successful products from the ground up with full lifecycle experience from ideation to creating markets (or winning market share)
• Driven to deliver business outcomes leveraging a holistic mindset that blends the importance of engineering excellence and driving business outcomes
• Track record of strong partnership with product management leaders to raise the bar for overall product development excellence
• Executive-level oral and written communication skills with the ability to communicate technology concepts in simple terms for key stakeholders, adapting messaging to the audience's need
• Strong listening skills, enabling an understanding of needs and preferences from both
employees and stakeholders
Characteristics and Behaviors
The right individual will identify with the team values and characteristics shared below:
Sense of urgency to achieve results: We care about results above all else. This includes understanding the 20/80 of each situation, taking pride in our do/say ratio, taking calculated risks, and making decisions quickly. The team develops clear plans by thinking through things and anticipating risks.
Attitude and ability to be a lifelong learner: We are inquisitive and curious. We dive deep. We seek data and ask questions. We don't pretend to understand things we don't, we relentlessly pursue the right answer.
Customer Focus: We believe customer outcomes are paramount and work backward from those. We deeply understand the problems customers are facing and obsess over finding innovative solutions. We are proactive in meeting customer needs and are hungry to innovate to solve customer and market problems.
Team players: We do what it takes to make the team win; play your position well but put the victory of the team ahead of self. We help each other achieve success.
Humility: We value and respect one another. We seek to understand first and only then to be understood. We are honest with ourselves and others and address challenges directly. We don't let ego get in the way of outcomes. We admit mistakes openly and purposefully.
Transparency: We believe transparency is what keeps us on the same page and helps us make better decisions while moving fast as a team. We tell the whole truth and don't delay communicating. We believe good news takes the steps and bad news takes the elevator.