Supplier Quality Engineer I - Outsourced Assemblies at Ball Aerospace
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Operations Strategic Support Unit plays a fundamental role in enabling efficient business and program execution – from technologies and investments to supply chain, manufacturing and test operations, facilities management, and information technology services.
Supplier Quality Engineer I – Outsourced Assemblies
As someone who has a few years of manufacturing and/or quality engineering experience, a supplier quality engineering position give you the opportunity to greatly expand the breadth of your knowledge! This entry level Quality Engineer position introduces you to the material flow, inspection processes, and technical details products and raw materials used for manufacturing. The quality engineer resolves delivery issues, makes recommendations for corrective actions, and begins the progression to supply base expertise and supplier process understanding. You will need to be a self-starter who has a thirst for knowledge, a desire to learn and improve systems and products. This can be a great career entry point to the Aerospace and Defense industry that will prepare you for multiple paths in manufacturing, engineering, supply chain, or quality.
In this position, you will be a part of the front end of the Integrated Supply Chain – where production material is sourced, where it enters the product realization process, and upon where the company relies to ensure compliant parts are delivered on time. You will be a part of Ball’s procurement risk management that enables our competitive edge and reduces the risk to programs, our customers, and the warfighter.
What You’ll Do:
- Learn and manage suppliers on the Outsourced Assemblies team assuring delivered Connectors, Cables, PWAs, PWBs, and Ceramic components and assemblies meet Ball Standards and Requirements.
- Learn the commodities with specialization in one or more of the areas and become a subject matter expert.
- Build on your knowledge of electronic manufacturing information systems including the Quality Management System (QMS), Manufacturing Resource Planning (MRP) system, Product Data Management (PDM) system, and other various databases that control and monitor supplier performance.
- Perform supply chain quality engineering functions including supplier evaluations, on-site system assessments, product realization capability and capacity reviews, and supplier corrective actions (SCARs).
- Learn the technical specifications and manufacturing processes involved to realize the components and/or assemblies of the assigned commodities.
- Become knowledgeable in counterfeit part prevention in the supply chain and assess supplier’s systems for suitability.
- Become knowledgeable in supplier cybersecurity systems, risk management, and root cause and corrective action processes.
- Support and work cross-functionally with engineering, supply management, inspection and production for all phases, systems, programs and/or products from less complicated, single focus activities to extremely complex and highly diverse activities.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS in Engineering or a related technical field plus 2 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Familiarity of manufacturing and/or quality systems.
- Ability to work as part of a collaborative team as well as individually.
- Ability to communicate professionally in both written and oral formats.
- Ability to create presentations, analyze and summarize data, and compose technical documentation/reports.
- Ability to travel to suppliers up to 40%, if required.
- Experience and proficiency with Microsoft Office.
- Experience with IPC 600/610/620 workmanship requirements, J-STD-001, NASA 8739 solder standards, and electronic components preferred.
- Working knowledge of ISO and AS9100 requirements preferred.
- Experience in performing on-site quality system surveys and evaluating suppliers' ability to produce the needed products, processes or services preferred.
- Experience and proficiency with SharePoint, Oasis, Costpoint, and Advanced Microsoft Excel preferred.
- Experience with Statistical Process Control, LEAN, Six Sigma, and ASQ certifications preferred.
- Preference given for previous component inspection experience.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $76,000 - $94,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. Click here to learn more.
US CITIZENSHIP MAY BE REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.