Staff Software Engineer - Sample to Data Engineering (Remote)
Invitae (NYSE: NVTA) is a leading medical genetics company trusted by millions of patients and their providers to deliver timely genetic information using digital technology. We aim to provide accurate and actionable answers to strengthen medical decision-making for individuals and their families. Invitae's genetics experts apply a rigorous approach to data and research, serving as the foundation of their mission to bring comprehensive genetic information into mainstream medicine to improve healthcare for billions of people.
Our team (Sample to Data Engineering) builds software for scientists. These software systems support Invitae’s genetic laboratory and bioinformatic data processing pipelines. Our systems run genetic tests on thousands of samples per day and help scientists develop new tests faster and with higher quality.
The genetic testing space is growing quickly. In support of Invitae’s mission, we need to iterate quickly and build genetic tests flexibly and reliably. Your experience, passion, and leadership skills will lay the foundation for Invitae’s continued success.What You’ll Do
- Lead the design and implementation of our most critical software components, systems, and features across multiple teams
- Manage complex, competing project priorities and work you're doing
- Design, test, develop, deploy, maintain, and improve our software systems
- Become an expert in the technologies we use, including: Python, Django, Docker, Kubernetes, Kafka, and various Amazon Web Services
- Work with scientists to understand their requirements and translate them into reliable and scalable system designs that impact the business
- Build clarity out of ambiguous and complex problems
- Influence the business by advocating for engineering excellence and presenting the benefits of standard processes
- Guide the direction of Invitae Engineering by seeing opportunities and leading efforts to improve our software systems and development practices
- Typically requires a Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 12 years of related experience; any equivalent combination of training, education, and experience that provides the required skills, knowledge and abilities.
- Demonstrated ability to drive the strategy and implementation of complex software systems
- Extensive proven experience in improving distributed, highly available systems
- Proven track record of identifying the right technology solutions for a given problem
- Ability to design software systems that drive company outcomes
- Experience prioritizing operations, maintenance, and new projects to optimize business impact
- History of creating positive change within an engineering organization
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, especially across distributed teams
At Invitae, you’ll work alongside the world’s experts in genetics and healthcare at the forefront of genetic medicine. Our culture empowers our teammates to have the biggest impact and to explore their interests and capabilities. We prize freedom with accountability and offer significant flexibility, along with excellent benefits and competitive compensation in a fast-growing organization.
Please apply even if you don’t meet all of the “What you bring” requirements noted. It’s rare that someone checks every single item, it’s ok, we encourage you to apply anyways.
At Invitae, we value diversity and provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We truly believe a diverse workplace is crucial to our company's success and to better serve our diverse patients. Your input is especially valuable. We’d greatly appreciate it if you can take a quick moment to make your selection(s) below. Submissions will be anonymous.
You can find a detailed explanation of our privacy practices here.