Checkr’s mission is to build a fairer future by improving understanding of the past. We believe all candidates, regardless of who they are, should have a fair chance to work. Established in 2014 and valued at $2.2B, Checkr is using technology to bring hiring to the next level. Our People Trust Platform uses artificial intelligence and machine learning to help thousands of companies modernize their background check process and make hiring safer, more efficient, and more inclusive. Some of our customers include, Uber, Instacart, Doordash, Netflix, Compass Group, and Adecco.
A career with Checkr is an opportunity to work with some of the best and brightest minds, disrupt an industry for a better future, and give otherwise overlooked candidates access to employment. Checkr has been recognized in Forbes Best Startup Employers and is a top Y Combinator company by valuation.
We are looking for a Staff Software Engineer to help Checkr improve the scalability, flexibility, reliability, and fairness of one of our longest available core screenings: motor vehicle reports (MVR). The MVR team is looking for a teammate that is highly collaborative (we have a preference towards pair programming), cares deeply about the mission of our company (improving fairness in the criminal justice system), is eager to mentor a diverse team of mid to senior engineers (83% female identifying), has a quality-focused mindset, and has deep experience driving architectural improvements across shared systems.
- Mentor a diverse team of mid to senior engineers.
- Lead our team’s technical strategy to increase the flexibility, scalability, and reliability of our product.
- Work closely with our data subsidiary to improve the fairness and accuracy of our product.
- Collaborate with other engineering teams to drive architectural improvements across shared systems.
What you bring:
- 10+ years of experience
- A desire to improve the criminal justice system
- A preference towards collaboration, TDD, and pair programming
- Experience making long-term architectural decisions across shared systems
- Experience with implementing microservices and versioning APIs
- (Nice to have) Ruby and Go experience
What you get:
- A fast-paced and collaborative environment
- Learning and development allowance
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for advancement
- 100% medical, dental and vision coverage
- Unlimited PTO policy
- Monthly wellness stipend, home office stipend
Equal Employment Opportunities at Checkr
Checkr is committed to hiring talented and qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds for all of its tech, non-tech, and leadership roles. Checkr believes that the gathering and celebration of unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures enriches the workplace.
Checkr also welcomes the opportunity to consider qualified applicants with prior arrest or conviction records. Checkr’s commitment to diversity extends to hiring talented individuals in spite of a prior criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.