Staff Software Engineer - Backend
Staff Software Engineer - Backend
We're looking for a seasoned Sr. Software Engineer to help our team build massively scalable consumer systems for clean energy.
Sunrun is the #1 residential solar company in the country and our mission is to bring clean solar power service affordably to every house in America. We help people upgrade their home to solar energy without the big upfront costs.
About Sunrun Software Engineering
We're hiring world-class software engineering talent to help our infrastructure keep up with daunting growth rates. We are literally working to change the world by revolutionizing the way people use energy.
Want to work on massively scalable consumer systems? Re-invent how consumers use energy? Have a measurable impact on one of humanity’s biggest challenges? Come to Sunrun. You'll work alongside passionate engineers engaged in the design and development of a product that is changing the world.
- Help establish the standards for the team in areas of technical excellence.
- Work collaboratively with Product Management and our UX designers to develop applications that can be easily tested and perform well under a variety of network conditions.
- Champion adherence to best-practice development methodologies.
- Design and code appropriate, scalable, and secure algorithms, data structures, and software components.
- Transform large portions of our stack to serverless architecture.
- Lead design and code reviews.
- Facilitate automated testing so all teams can innovate at a rapid pace.
- Mentor and build skills across the team through effective standards setting, code reviews, and pairing.
- Tune production applications to maximize efficiency.
- 8+ years experience designing and coding enterprise level applications
Spring Boot / Spring Cloud / Spring 5 experience
Maven/Gradle build experience
Experience with REST API architecture and development especially using Swagger or Apigee.
Strong knowledge of Git including version control, branching, merging/rebasing, and pull requests.
Solid understanding of MVC architecture and frameworks.
Strong focus on automation including Continuous Integration / Deployment especially using Groovy or Jenkins pipelines.
Familiarity with distributed systems and federated authentication systems.
Good security practices and experience writing code that manages customer data.
Impeccable communication and team skills with shared ownership of code and other deliverables.
Bonus Technical Skills
Algorithmic development, data structures and scientific computing
Knowledge of Computational Geometry and Linear Algebra.
Familiarity with Docker, Serverless architectures like AWS Lambda, and/or DynamoDB, ECS, EC2, S3, SQS, Kinesis, CloudWatch, CloudFormation, Athena, Aurora, RDS, SageMaker.
BS/MS in Computer Science, Engineering or Math is preferred.
Sunrun is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination and harassment of any kind. At Sunrun, we believe that empowering people and valuing their differences will help us create a planet run by the sun. That’s why we strive to make solar inclusive. Our commitment to Diversity & Inclusion drives our ability to build diverse teams and develop inclusive work environments. We do our best to make sure all people feel respected, supported and connected at work. That includes our support for members and allies of all underrepresented groups through our internal employee networks such as Sunrun Women’s Network, Sunrun’s Veterans Network (“Liberty”), Women in Tech, and Sunrun’s LGBTQ affinity group.