Staff Software Engineer, Admin Tooling at CircleCI
CircleCI is looking for an experienced backend engineer to join a team tasked with building tools for administering our platform - improving efficiency across multiple departments, and our customers managing large installations of CircleCI. We build tools that are intuitive and a pleasure to use, but also secure and aligned with regulations our customers care about. This is a great opportunity to make a big impact.
In this role, you’ll be a part of a full-stack team of engineers working remotely from the APAC region. It’s a new team, and we’re looking forward to our journey through all the usual stages of team development - and sharing it with you.
For this role, we are looking for engineers located in Japan.What you’ll do:
- Build backend APIs and services to power browser-based administrative tools, working with codebases that are predominantly Clojure-based.
- Reconcile user requirements (internal and external) with policies and legal regulations.
- Collaborate with other engineering teams when interacting with services they own.
- Work with our Security team to keep our tools safe and auditable.
- Share rotating on-call duties for our tools.
- Help build the culture and practices of a new team.
You’ll do the above in a fully remote team of folks who care about you as a person and respect your life outside of work.Who we’re looking for:
We’re seeking someone who thrives in a collaborative environment, is curious and interested in learning, brings strong communication and teamwork skills, and helps others grow by sharing their expertise and encouragement.
Below you can find a list of skills and practices we value in candidates - you don’t need to be experienced in all of them to apply!
- 5+ years of backend development experience with micro-services and distributed systems.
- Pair programming, both synchronous and asynchronous.
- Writing functional code that’s easily readable, testable, and maintainable.
- Experience with agile software development practices, focusing on incremental delivery of value.
- Ability to manage the ambiguity of a rapidly-growing company: adjusting to changing priorities, making conscious tradeoffs when guidance is limited and information is incomplete, and instituting best practices from scratch when needed.
- Strong English communication skills, both written and spoken.
This role will be for level E4 on our Engineering Competency Matrix, our internal career growth system for engineers. These are the minimum expectations for this position, but we are always willing to discuss bringing people on at more senior positions when appropriate. Read our blog post about the competency matrix to learn more.About CircleCI
CircleCI is the world’s largest shared continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) platform, and the central hub where code moves from idea to delivery. As one of the most-used DevOps tools that processes more than 1 million builds a day, CircleCI has unique access to data on how engineering teams work, and how their code runs. Companies like Spotify, Coinbase, Stitch Fix, and BuzzFeed use us to improve engineering team productivity, release better products, and get to market faster.
CircleCI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.