Staff Frontend Engineer
Pie Insurance Named a Top Colorado Company 2020
Pie is rated Excellent by our customers on Trustpilot
Check out our great reviews from current and former employees on Glassdoor
Pie raises an additional $127M in funding
Pie is transforming small business insurance - starting with workers’ compensation. We are driven by our core values that guide every decision we make, the community we build, and the service we deliver to our small business customers. Like our small business customers, we are a diverse team of builders, dreamers, and entrepreneurs. Small businesses are the backbone of the economy; talented team members are the backbone of Pie. We are pie-oneering a whole new approach to insurance.
We are looking for highly motivated and accomplished Staff Software Engineers who are looking to make a big impact within a fast growing company by helping to lead design and development of scalable products critical to Pie Insurance. Staff Engineers balance their time between guiding architectural decisions and mentoring other engineers within their team, while also individually contributing to organization-wide development initiatives. Guiding change by leading through best practices, they look to constantly deliver a product that allows our customers to do what they do best, serving their communities.
Staff Engineers encourage an environment where engineers are forward thinkers and foster a culture of diversity and blameless truth seeking. They anticipate differences of opinion and perspective, working hard to create alignment. Acting as thought leaders across the organization on matters of design, architecture, and best practice, they elevate those around them and push the company forward.
We will consider this role for continued remote work within the United States once our offices reopen with under 10% travel to Denver and/or DC
What You'll Be Doing
- Operating as the go-to person for front-end related matters within our products and technology stack
- Collaborating with other world-class engineers to build & deliver value-centric products, leverage devops & observability practices to deliver those products, and create awe-inspiring user experiences
- Working with the Platform team to establish security best practices for your team, while also fostering a security-first environment
- Guiding your team using established architectural principles and engineering best practices
- Using your extensive hands-on experience working with common technical patterns and frameworks to evolve architectural design along with Pie's goals
- Delivering software using continuous delivery practices and leveraging your experience to enhance continuous delivery pipelines and practices
- Creating and developing products that are well designed, maintainable, testable, and understandable by others, through clean code, documentation, and the use of industry standards and best practices
- Participating in the formulation, evolution, and governance of Engineering wide architectural principles in partnership with Principal Engineers and the CTO
The Right Stuff
- A minimum of 5 years experience in progressive software development experience is preferred
- A minimum of 3 years experience leading multi-team development focus areas
- Can lead discussions on architecture and technical decision making
- Create thorough and clearly written technical documentation Ability to create and implement system and software design, considering the downstream impact of decisions
- Take part in epic and story creation, focused on product driven approachesHave worked extensively in an Agile/Scrum development methodology
- Have proven experience designing and building microservices architectures
- Have a deep understanding of open source frameworks, web technologies, HTTP, and other tools that facilitate the practice of software engineering
- Experience working with sophisticated application state, e.g. Apollo Client, Redux, MobX or similar
- Knowledge in building systems such as Webpack and Babel
- Competitive salary
- A piece of the Pie (in the form of stock options)
- Comprehensive health plans
- Generous PTO
- Paid sick leave
- Future focused 401k match
- Our core values are more than just a poster on the wall; they’re tangibly reflected in our work and recognized with our monthly culture award.
- Generous parental leave
Our goal is to make all aspects of working with us as easy as Pie! That includes our offer process. When we have identified talent that is a good fit for Pie, we work hard to present an equitable and fair offer. We look at your knowledge, skills and experience that you bring, along with your compensation expectations and align that with our company equity processes to determine our offer ranges.
We value and want to support our team members, and are proud to offer a comprehensive compensation package which includes the following:
Compensation Range for position: $145,000- $203,000
Other Benefits: Each year Pie reviews Company performance and may grant discretionary bonuses to eligible team members.
Pie Insurance is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, national or ethnic origin, military service status, citizenship, or other protected characteristic.
Pie Insurance participates in the E-Verify program. Please click here, here and here for more information.