Staff Engineer in Test at Pie Insurance (Greater Denver Area, CO or Remote)
| Greater Denver Area | Remote
Sorry, this job was removed at 11:52 a.m. (MST) on Monday, January 10, 2022
Built In Colorado honors Pie in its 2021 Best Places to Work Awards
Pie Insurance Raises $118 Million in Series C Funding
Pie Insurance Named a Leading Place to Work in Colorado
Check out our great reviews from current and former employees on Glassdoor
Pie's mission is to empower small businesses to thrive by making commercial insurance affordable and as easy as pie. We leverage technology to transform how small businesses buy and experience commercial insurance—starting with workers’ compensation.
Like our small business customers, we are a diverse team of builders, dreamers, and entrepreneurs who are driven by core values that guide every decision we make.
The Staff Engineers in Test are innovative, driven by engineering excellence, and create code that is a joy for other engineers to maintain & is highly testable. Staff SDETs solve difficult problems using modern best practices. They collaborate with other world-class engineers to build & deliver value-centric products, leverage devops & observability practices to deliver those value-centric products, and create awe-inspiring user experiences. The systems they develop will be highly resilient, performant, and scalable. The Staff SDET is a thought leader on the Engineering team, driving the team and their peers to engineering excellence. They contribute to establishing best practices and procedures. This position works with Product Management to evaluate and refine product requirements, success criteria, and team process to drive delivery velocity and excellence. Staff SDETs act as leaders within their immediate team, but also across the Engineering organization. They are the go-to person for a particular area of expertise. They lead and/or guide change in that area. Staff SDETs also maintain an understanding of the technology beyond their immediate team and act as a thought leader between teams in Engineering on matters of test, design, architecture, and best practice.
How You'll Do It
Develop Pie's Product & Technology
- Create code that is a joy for other engineers to maintain and is highly testable.
- Collaborate with other world-class engineers to build & deliver value-centric products and frameworks, leverage devops & observability practices to deliver those value-centric products & frameworks, and create tools that make the whole Engineering team more effective.
- Create and develop tools & products that are well designed, maintainable, testable, and understandable by others, through clean code, documentation, and the use of industry standards and best practices.
- Deliver software using continuous delivery practices and leverage experience to enhance continuous delivery pipelines and practices.
- Build systems that are highly resilient, performant, and scalable.
- Utilize modern best practices in the microservice architectural style.
- Lead the design and architecture of test systems on their team.
- Drive excellence into code bases owned by your team; be an example for peers on your team.
- Collaborate closely with the rest of the Engineering team to build and deliver platforms and tools that facilitate the delivery and quality of Pie's products.
- Guide and mentor other engineers.
- Lead and facilitate code reviews.
- Create best practices and procedures.
- Thought leadership in specific areas of expertise.
- Capable of leading without authority.
- Builds test automation platforms to facilitate the implementation of integration, end-to end, load, and performance tests by other members of the engineering team.
- Drives continuous improvement on Pie Engineering's continuous delivery practices.
- Partners with infrastructure engineering to build out infrastructure to support the continuous testing via continuous delivery of Pie's platforms.
- Deeply attuned to the production behavior of Pie's systems and identifies opportunities to address gaps through enhanced tooling and capability.
The Right Stuff
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience with some college coursework is required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related experience is preferred.
- A minimum of 5-years experience with the development and delivery of large scale systems, leveraging modern test automation and software deployment practices.
- Advanced communication (written, verbal and presentation) skills, to deliver complex information effectively and align people with the needs of the project/team.
- Advanced problem solving skills, to be able to manage complex situations with multiple layers, and resolve to solution anticipating needs now and into the future.
- Advanced awareness of workflow, and project tradeoffs to make decisions based on needs now and into the future.
- G-Suite Tools, Collaboration tools (slack is preferred), basic office machines.
- Ability to deliver projects at a cadence that meets the expectations of your manager, with minimal supervision.
- Deep understanding of open source frameworks, web technologies, HTTP, and other tools that facilitate the practice of software engineering.
- Have worked extensively in an Agile/Scrum development methodology.
- Have worked in a CI/CD environment.
- Proven experience designing and building Microservices architectures.
- Expert understanding with async design patterns.
- Strong knowledge of NoSQL databases, specifically MongoDB, Web Sockets, and messaging systems, specifically RabbitMQ.
- Deep knowledge of procedural programming languages such as C# or Java, network protocols, HTTP.
- Extensive experience developing RESTful APIs.
- Expertise in testing frameworks and tools.
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive cash compensation
- A piece of the pie (in the form of equity)
- Comprehensive health plans
- Generous PTO, including paid sick leave
- Future focused 401k match
- Generous parental and caregiver leave
- Our core values are more than just a poster on the wall; they’re tangibly reflected in our work
Our goal is to make all aspects of working with us as easy as pie. That includes our offer process. When we’ve identified a talented individual who we’d like to be a Pie-oneer , we work hard to present an equitable and fair offer. We look at the candidate’s knowledge, skills, and experience, along with their compensation expectations and align that with our company equity processes to determine our offer ranges.
We value our team members and want to support them, so we’re proud to offer a comprehensive compensation package which includes the following:
Compensation Range for position: $153,000 - $195,000
Each year Pie reviews Company performance and may grant discretionary bonuses to eligible team members.
Pie Insurance is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, national or ethnic origin, military service status, citizenship, or other protected characteristic.
Pie Insurance participates in the E-Verify program. Please click here, here and here for more information.
This role has the option to be hybrid or remote. Hybrid work locations provide team members with the flexibility of working partially from our Denver or DC office and from home. Remote team members must live and work in the United States*, and have access to reliable, high-speed internet.
#LI-Remote #LI-DS1 #BI-Remote