This is a remote role, which can sit in any of the following 22 states: AZ, CO, CA, DC, FL, GA, ID, IL, KS, MA, MD, MI, MN, NC, NY, NJ, OR, PA, TN, TX, WA, WI. Please only apply if you are able to live and work full-time in one of the states listed above.
Guild is looking for Staff Backend Engineers to build features, design and implement APIs, and improve the reliability of our systems as we scale our product.
We build our systems using tools such as Node, Postgres, GraphQL, and AWS. Experience with those is a huge plus but familiarity with other languages, API protocols, and databases work for us! We look for engineers that build with simplicity, reliability, and scalability in mind.
As a Staff Backend Engineer, you will:
- Design, build, and own new services and infrastructure.
- Create code that is understandable, testable, and shared across teams and stakeholders.
- Share knowledge and feedback with multiple teams and stakeholders.
- Lead engineering efforts with multiple teams and stakeholders.
- Deliver on time and be accountable to multiple teams and stakeholders.
Our team emphasizes Guild company values in the following ways:
- Be an Owner - Our work is tied to outcomes for our stakeholders. We set clear expectations for delivery.
- Scale for Students; Students for Scale - We build consistently, test everything, keep an eye on it, and handle failure with grace.
- Have a Learner’s Mindset - Always be learning and share what you’ve learned. With our team, other teams, the business, and the developer community.
- Be Teammates - Respect underlies all relationships between teammates. Respecting each others' time, respecting expertise, and elevating our teammates. Better outcomes follow from leveraging the collective over the individual.
In addition to working on the engineering team, you will collaborate with engineers, PMs, and leaders including Kate, Brittany, Erik, and Johnny.
You are a strong fit for this role if you have:
- Excellent cross-team communication and collaboration skills.
- Expertise building and owning multiple services and APIs--data modeling, unit and integration testing, and continuous integration and deployment (CI/CD).
- Deep expertise with a cloud platform (AWS, GCP, Azure, DigitalOcean), database technologies (Postgres, NoSQL), and modern source control (Git / Github).
- Demonstrated curiosity and interest in keeping up and experimenting with new technologies.
- Willingness to embrace change and work within a fast-paced environment.
- Passion for higher education and our mission.
Guild is increasing economic mobility for working adults by partnering with the largest employers in the country to offer education as a benefit to their employees via our marketplace of nonprofit universities and education institutions. Guild’s proprietary technology platform facilitates the administration of this innovative benefit and our team of coaches helps each employee navigate the path back to school, providing individualized support from day one through program completion. Fast Company recently named Guild as one of the World’s Most Innovative Companies and we've raised over $70 million from top tier investors including Felicis, Bessemer, Redpoint, Rethink EDU, Harrison Metal, Cowboy Ventures, Salesforce and Workday Ventures.
Guild Education is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.