As a Sr. Software Engineer, you will shape and improve the experience of key Vertafore customers. You will work cross-functionally across Vertafore, including Customer Support, Account Management, Product Management and Product Development to help guide customers and also contribute to the future growth of your team.
You will work with a fast-paced, skilled team of business analysts, conversion engineers, developers and quality assurance engineers across multiple high-profile projects with development responsibility of assigned projects. Much of your success in this role will be dependent upon timely, clear, concise and effective verbal and written communication along with development of solutions that fully meet customer expectations with no/minimal defects or rework.
Although not a primary duty compared to developing and supporting code, a software engineer at Vertafore also works directly with customers as part of a cross-functional team, which means you need to be a proactive self-starter, able to multi-task in a fast-paced environment and be service-focused to help nurture the customer experience. Additionally, you're a mentor and consultant, as well as a customer champion within Vertafore.
You must have exceptional communication, organizational and time management skills.
Core Requirements and Responsibilities:
Essential job functions included but are not limited to the following:
· Confidently working with customers to describe technical concepts and recommend appropriate solutions whether pure custom or a mix of custom and core Vertafore products
· Assist business analysts as needed with reviewing request information and documenting solution designs that align with customer expectations and business objectives/requirements
· Assist business analysts as needed with training, informing and managing customers during the implementation process
· Document, architect and develop forward thinking technical specifications and solutions based on provided business requirements and/or specifications
· Test, verify and support customer implementation projects in partnership with quality assurance engineers
· Develop automated solution deployments as appropriate
· Deploy developed solutions within non-production environments and assist Vertafore data center resources with production deployments
· Working on/with small teams and completing tasks quickly with minimal supervision
· Leading junior developers and providing proactive feedback to senior leadership
· Creating advanced tables, views, stored procedures, indexes, constraints, cursors, user defined functions and triggers using T-SQL and SSMS
· Optimizing query performance and tuning indexes using Query Analyzer and other tools
· Extracting, transforming and loading (ETL) data to/from MS SQL Server
· Coding, interface design, documentation and unit testing
· Experience with MVC, AngularJS and/or other model-view-controller type patterns
· Experience developing web, thick client and console applications, with mobile applications a plus
· Knowledge of Windows Services
· Knowledge of SOA and experience consuming and developing SOAP or RESTful (OData) web services
· Experience with Visual Studio 2010 or higher, including TFS source control
· Client-side and server-side debugging/tracing, such as using Visual Studio, Fiddler, Wireshark, etc.
· Batch file and/or PowerShell experience
· Bachelor's degree in computer related field
· 5+ years real-world software development experience
· Experience with Agile development methodologies
· Advanced troubleshooting experience and resolving production issues
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills (internal and external customers/partners)
· Ability to work within a team in a collaborative manner
· Willingness to learn new technologies and experiment with innovation
· Self-starter who is detail-oriented, quick-learner and deadline-driven
· Experience with work performed by Consultants, Business Analysts, Software/Solution Architects, Quality Assurance Engineers and/or Project Managers