Sr. Software Engineer at Vertafore
Vertafore is a leading technology company whose innovative software solution are advancing the insurance industry. Our suite of products provides solutions to our customers that help them better manage their business, boost their productivity and efficiencies, and lower costs while strengthening relationships.
Our mission is to move InsurTech forward by putting people at the heart of the industry. We are leading the way with product innovation, technology partnerships, and focusing on customer success.
Our fast-paced and collaborative environment inspires us to create, think, and challenge each other in ways that make our solutions and our teams better.
We are headquartered in Denver, Colorado, with offices across the U.S., Canada, and India.
As the senior software engineer/team lead embedded in an energetic agile team of Software and QA Engineers, you will lead the team in creating software products utilizing state of the art technologies. You will be hands on, involved in designing applications and flexible services that expose core capabilities to different applications and user bases, and leading teams to achieve the vision through active mentoring, technical decision-making, and facilitating company-wide collaboration. All of this will be accomplished with cutting edge, lean-agile, software development methodologies. Our culture fosters collaboration, innovation, integrity, mentorship, commitment to success and fun. Our managers are dedicated to growing their people and offering an opportunity that allows you to make impact in your career.
Core Requirements and Responsibilities:
Essential job functions included but are not limited to the following:
· Understands and mitigates the impact of technical decisions across the entire product
· Drives and manages design conversations for features considering business need
· Defines and creates artifacts/documents that are valuable to the team and external stakeholders
· Incorporate new approaches (languages and technologies) into the team
· Responsible for developing new features and supporting/bug fixing existing features
· Responsible for production
· Acts as a role model and mentors other team members technically and culturally.
· Contributes to defining and enforcing procedures, standards and methodologies related to software development.
· Closely follow industry trends and the open source community
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Ensures quality of code within the team written or reviewed
· Define and adhere to quality/technical team standards
· Makes decisions across the product that help long-term maintainability, reuse, security and performance
· Able to diagnose issues and provide solutions for complex, ambiguous problems
· Can independently frame problems and perform relevant research
· Curious and avid learners
· Communicate clearly to explain and defend design decisions
· Self-motivated and excellent problem-solvers
· Driven to improve, personally and professionally
· Mentor and inspire others to raise the bar for everyone around them
· Collaborate with their peers, designing pragmatic solutions
· Operate best in a fast-paced, flexible work environment
· Prepare technical training and information sessions for other staff
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science (or related technical field) or equivalent practical experience
- 5-7 years of professional experience with Java, Java Spring and other common frameworks
- Very strong in both design, architecture and implementation at an enterprise level
- Experience with Agile software development
- Experience with Restful APIs
- Have an intense passion for innovating and crafting clean code and mentoring their teams
- Experience with React.js or similar
- Ability to work advanced database magic with relational and NoSQL databases
- In-tune with high performance and high availability design/programming
- Have experience in security best practices for software and data platforms
- Enjoy solving problems through the entire application stack
- Are interested and capable of learning other programming languages as needed
- Collaborate with engineering teams and business units to drive business growth and customer delight
Additional Requirements and Details:
- Travel required up to 10% of the time.
- Ability to work remotely with a stable internet connection on an as-needed basis
- Located and working from an office location (when required)*
- Occasional lifting and/or moving up to 10 pounds.
- Frequent repetitive hand and arm movements required to operate a computer.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision (working on a computer, etc.).
- Frequent sitting and/or standing.
*Our offices are currently closed due to COVID-19 and are scheduled to re-open mid 2021.
THE VERTAFORE STORY
Over the past 50 years, Vertafore has advanced the entire insurance distribution channel with the best software solutions in the industry. Today, we're proud to say hundreds of thousands of Vertafore users rely on our solutions to write business faster, reduce costs, and fuel growth by increasing collaboration and streamlining processes. Vertafore leads the industry with secure, cloud-based mobile products that provide superior reporting and analytics, delivering actionable insight- right when customers need it most. We partner with other leading technology companies to deliver comprehensive solutions to improve the way our customers do business and serve their customers.
The Vertafore Way
Insurance is about relationships, and technology should make those relationships stronger. That's why, at Vertafore, it's our mission to transform the way the industry operates by putting people at the heart of insurance technology. By focusing on our customers, becoming better every day, and delivering results you can see, we provide the level of trust and security that insurance is all about.
· Bias to Action: We're united by an innate drive to take action and make a difference in the technology and insurance spaces.
· Win Together: We work together as one team, showing empathy and respect along the way.
· Show Up Curious: We work to challenge one another to push boundaries and think beyond the box.
· Say It, Do It: We honor every one of our commitments because integrity is important to us.
· Customer Success is Our Success: We cultivate authentic relationships and follow up by actively listening to their needs.
· We Love Insurance: We appreciate the impact insurance has on the world.
Is this role not an exact fit for you? Keep an eye on our Careers Page for other positions!
Vertafore is a drug free workplace and conducts preemployment drug and background screenings.
The selected candidate must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the job responsibilities, duties, skill, or working conditions. In addition, this document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an "at will" relationship.
Vertafore strongly supports equal employment opportunity for all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law.
We do not accept resumes from agencies, headhunters, or other suppliers who have not signed a formal agreement with us.