Sr. Software Engineer (Java/React) at Vertafore
As the senior software engineer/team lead embedded in an energetic agile team of Software and QA Engineers, you will lead the team in creating software products utilizing state of the art technologies. You will be hands on, involved in designing applications and flexible services that expose core capabilities to different applications and user bases, and leading teams to achieve the vision through active mentoring, technical decision-making, and facilitating company-wide collaboration. All of this will be accomplished with cutting edge, lean-agile, software development methodologies. Our culture fosters collaboration, innovation, integrity, mentorship, commitment to success and fun. Our managers are dedicated to growing their people and offering an opportunity that allows you to make impact in your career.
Core requirements and responsibilities:
Essential job functions included but are not limited to the following:
- Understands and mitigates the impact of technical decisions across the entire product
- Drives and manages design conversations for features considering business need
- Defines and creates artifacts/documents that are valuable to the team and external stakeholders
- Incorporate new approaches (languages and technologies) into the team
- Responsible for developing new features and supporting/bug fixing existing features
- Responsible for production
- Acts as a role model and mentors other team members technically and culturally.
- Contributes to defining and enforcing procedures, standards and methodologies related to software development.
- Closely follow industry trends and the open source community
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ensures quality of code within the team written or reviewed
- Define and adhere to quality/technical team standards
- Makes decisions across the product that help long-term maintainability, reuse, security and performance
- Able to diagnose issues and provide solutions for complex, ambiguous problems
- Can independently frame problems and perform relevant research
- Curious and avid learners
- Communicate clearly to explain and defend design decisions
- Self-motivated and excellent problem-solvers
- Driven to improve, personally and professionally
- Mentor and inspire others to raise the bar for everyone around them
- Collaborate with their peers, designing pragmatic solutions
- Operate best in a fast-paced, flexible work environment
- Prepare technical training and information sessions for other staff
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science (or related technical field) or equivalent practical experience
- Are very strong in both design, architecture and implementation at an enterprise level
- Experience with Agile software development
- Have an intense passion for innovating and crafting clean code and mentoring their teams
- 5-7 years of professional experience with Java and common frameworks
- Experience with React.js or similar
- Can work advanced database magic with relational and NoSQL databases
- Are in-tune with high performance and high availability design/programming
- Have experience in security best practices for software and data platforms
- Enjoy solving problems through the entire application stack
- Are interested and capable of learning other programming languages as needed
- Design 'perfect-fit' solutions with engineering teams and business units to drive business growth and customer delight
Additional Requirements and Details:
- Travel required up to 10% of the time
- Located and working from an office location
- Occasional lifting and/or moving up to 10 pounds
- Frequent repetitive hand and arm movements required to operate a computer
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision (working on a computer, etc.)
- Frequent sitting and/or standing
Vertafore is a drug free workplace and conducts preemployment drug and background screenings.
The selected candidate must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the job responsibilities, duties, skill, or working conditions. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. In addition, this document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an "at will" relationship.
Vertafore strongly supports equal employment opportunity for all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law.