Sr Engineer, SME at Ball Aerospace
Do you want to work for a world-leading manufacturer who strives to build a better future through sustainability and innovation? Are you looking for a new challenge in a stable, fast-growing sector?
Join us, and build your career by helping us build the future.
We are a global leader in sustainable products with more than 21,000 team members worldwide. From infinitely recyclable aluminum cans, cups, and aerosol bottles, to aerospace solutions that enable our customers to have a deeper understanding of our planet and the universe. We produce all these incredible things with one unique purpose: crafting a better community, a better society, a better world.
Moreover, each of us has a deep commitment to diversity and inclusion which is the foundation of our culture of belonging. And everyone at Ball is an everyday champion, making a difference by doing what we love.
We lead with our heads and our hearts and combine innovative thinking with a spirit of resiliency that keeps us moving forward in a relentless pursuit of new ways to make life, and the world, better. Whether we’re developing packaging that’s infinitely recyclable or aerospace innovations. Because what we create may change, but what we will always make is a difference.
We have an opening for a Sr Engineer, SME. The Sr Engineer provides project engineering support to the division.
What will you be responsible for?
1. Coordinates pre-AFE planning and feasibility studies. Gathers, organizes, and presents information from the customer, manufacturing, research and development, marketing, quality assurance, production planning, finance, human resources, training, accounting, legal, environmental, and engineering departments.
2. Writes high-quality AFE’s as measured by the appropriateness and accuracy of the cost estimate, clear communication of the project description and goals, and the accurate and clear communication of the project background information and justification.
3. Initiates projects thoroughly and quickly after they are approved and manages them to successful completion: scope of work, responsibility plans, budget, milestone schedule, project cost control, action item list, detailed schedule, status reports, etc.
4. Establishes and maintains project team and customer ownership of project scope, budget, responsibility plan, schedule, and expected results. Establishes and maintains the “project vision” for all parties involved. Establishes and maintains a tone of cooperation and synergy among everyone working on the project.
5. Determines the need for technical resources from outside project engineering and from outside Ball, evaluates sources of help, contracts for and manages them as part of the project team.
6. Searches for and determines what the highest risk elements to each project’s success are, analyzes, communicates, and manages them to achieve the desired results.
7. Manages projects to minimize the cost required to achieve approved project objectives. Uses the project cost tools from Packaging Operations’ accounting system to manage project budget, forecasts, commitments, and expenditures. Updates forecasts regularly using information provided by team members who are responsible for cost in their own areas.
8. Documents project changes and their effect on meeting project objectives: cost schedule, expected operating results, etc.
9. Effectively uses computer-based scheduling tools to meet or improve on schedule goals; promotes project team ownership of schedule and their appropriate use of schedule information. Develops and maintains appropriate scheduling tools for the installation/start-up phase of each project.
10. Builds an effective team for each project. Provides the necessary training and leadership for team members to be able to perform their team functions well.
11. Communicates clearly and sufficiently with customers; ensures that customer needs and concerns are understood and addressed; ensures that key customer personnel fully understand the project and buy off on all critical project elements. Establishes and maintains a good working relationship with customer’s key personnel.
12. Keeps management informed of project status, including progress, problems, cost forecast, and schedule through regularly published status reports.
13. Effectively manages project startup activities, including leading the task team, coordinating with the customer’s personnel, obtaining and managing outside resources, completing turnover to the customer, and managing the project cleanup punch list.
14. Responsible for assuring that all project documentation matters have been properly completed including: documents from CEF checklist put in the central engineering files, as-builts of layouts, plant bills for materials, schematics, and control programs completed and filed electronically.
What are we looking for?
• Broad training in a related field usually acquired through 0 high school; 1 college or 0 graduate degree level education or work-related experience
• Job related experience for 3 years minimum
• Ability to apply standard evaluation, selection, and substantial adaptation and modification of standard engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria.
• Demonstrates effective verbal and written communication skills.
• Must be able to handle sensitive related and proprietary information in a confidential manner.
• Must maintain professional competence, ethical integrity, knowledge, and skills.
• Have experience leading process improvement teams.
• Self-directed and pushes self and others for results.
• Priority Setting (Time Management). Spends time and the time of others on what’s important; quickly zeroes in on the critical few and puts the trivial many aside; can quickly sense what will help or hinder accomplishing a goal; eliminates roadblocks; creates focus.
• Excellent communication/facilitator.
• Experience communicating at all levels of organization.
Compensation & Benefits
- Hiring Salary Range: $ 77,500 - 115,500 (Salary to be determined by the applicant’s education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity and alignment with market data.)
- Other Compensation: This role will be eligible to participate in the annual incentive compensation plan.
- Regular Full-Time Salaried and Hourly positions: Ball includes a comprehensive benefits structure, Go to our career site and click "Total Rewards" to learn more.
Ball Corporation has been made aware of reports involving fraudulent job offers. These often appear legitimate, but Ball does not make job offers until after a candidate has submitted a job application and has participated in a face-to-face interview (In person or via WebEx). All email correspondence from Ball Corporation ends in “@ball.com.” Please also be advised that Ball will never request payment or require candidates to deposit a check during the recruitment and onboarding processes. If you have questions about any open positions at Ball, please visit our careers website at https://jobs.ball.com/.
If you have applied to a position and have been asked for personal information through LinkedIn, please notify LinkedIn directly.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans