Sr Engineer, Equipment at Ball Aerospace
Do you want to work for a world-leading manufacturer who strives to build a better future through sustainability and innovation? Are you looking for a new challenge in a stable, fast-growing sector?
Join us, and build your career by helping us build the future.
We are a global leader in sustainable products with more than 21,000 team members worldwide. From infinitely recyclable aluminum cans, cups, and aerosol bottles, to aerospace solutions that enable our customers to have a deeper understanding of our planet and the universe. We produce all these incredible things with one unique purpose: crafting a better community, a better society, a better world.
Moreover, each of us has a deep commitment to diversity and inclusion which is the foundation of our culture of belonging. And everyone at Ball is an everyday champion, making a difference by doing what we love.
We lead with our heads and our hearts and combine innovative thinking with a spirit of resiliency that keeps us moving forward in a relentless pursuit of new ways to make life, and the world, better. Whether we’re developing packaging that’s infinitely recyclable or aerospace innovations. Because what we create may change, but what we will always make is a difference.
Primary Purpose of Position:
Provides equipment engineering support to the metal beverage division. Provides on-site technical and contractor-management support in the installation, check-out and start-up of equipment and systems. Coordinates OEM and SME support for project functional check-out (FCO) and start up assistance
- Complies with established job safety practices, policies and procedures as specified in plant and corporate directives for the safe performance of the work environment.
- Conducts all of his/her work with communication and coordination involving appropriate engineering and plant organizations.
- Consults with engineering and manufacturing personnel to assure the use of appropriate and consistent technologies.
- Initiates, maintains and distributes the equipment list for each project with detailed status and purchasing information.
- Creates and updates equipment criteria sheets and specifications for each project. Prepares equipment engineering bid packages for can making equipment and initiates requisitions for all equipment based on engineering packages and criteria sheets. Stores all pertinent information in project files.
- Initiates and coordinates technical discussions with equipment suppliers for each project. Reviews quotations and provides recommendations in coordination with the sourcing department. Ensures that all supplier contact regarding pricing and schedule is done through the sourcing department.
- Coordinates SME(s) and OEM pre-delivery inspections (PDI) for all equipment.
- Fill in for the Project Manager on days he/she is not present, to run calls and provide project status.
- Creates and updates equipment buy-off sheets and functional check-out procedures and status for each project.
- Ensures that all necessary documentation for each piece of equipment has been received and is satisfactory, including spare parts lists, bills of material, general arrangement drawings, equipment manuals and lists of special tools and required lubricants.
- Maintains a complete listing of warranty and back charge items for equipment on each project and works with the project manager and the sourcing department to resolve them.
- Evaluates problems and cost-improvement opportunities in plants, generates and presents alternative solutions for consideration.
- Maintains knowledge of technology improvements in his/her field, communicates their existence to the engineering and manufacturing areas, and proposes/coordinates implementation or evaluation of such innovations.
- Manages selected projects within his/her areas of expertise: scope, schedule, budget, quality, project team, contractors, plant relations and acceptance, etc.
- Responsible for the review of vendor equipment and other outside engineering drawings and documents for suitability and compliance with project requirements and in coordination with SMEs.
- Provides on-site technical and contractor-management support in the installation, check-out and start-up of equipment and systems.
- Directs activities to provide designs and technical assistance as required by manufacturing engineering for support to existing plants and for plant AFE projects.
- Coordinates with production and manufacturing engineering for timely and effective implementation of modifications to existing manufacturing process hardware.
- Coordinates OEM and SME support for project Functional Check-out and start up assistance.
- Creates project cost estimates used in AFE’s. Validates OEM equipment FCO documentation is completed correctly and is in good order.
- Ensures that cost estimates and forecasts to completion are prepared for work in area of responsibility.
Provides technical presentations to customers, potential customers, licensees, plants and management.
Designs, researches, and develops new applications resulting in product, project, or business opportunities or savings for the company. Erroneous decisions or recommendations could have long-term negative effects on projects or the organization.
Serves as a spokesperson on projects and programs. Acts as advisor to management and customers on solutions and applications.
Participates in audits and upgrades and recommends improvements to existing equipment systems.
Maintains awareness and complies with all environmental management requirements.
Initiates, reviews, masters, and follows all standard operating procedures (SOPs) for area of responsibility.
While the regular working cycle of this position is usually five days on (Monday-Friday), this job may include working weekends (Saturday and Sunday); working hours may vary as specified by management and/or as required by project needs. Incumbent must be able to work overtime on a regular basis and/or be on call as directed by management.
Travel up to 60%
- Broad training in a related professional field usually acquired through college level education or work related experience. Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering preferred.
- Job related experience for 5 years minimum.
- Working knowledge of production equipment for aluminum beverage containers.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations. Ability to functionally use a computer.
- Ability to apply standard evaluation, selection, and substantial adaptation and modification of standard engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria.
- Must maintain professional competence, ethical integrity, knowledge, and skills.
- Effective in working with people at all levels and with outside customers; able and willing to contribute wherever and however needed; provides support and guidance to project activities and senior level management.
- Compliant in one or more technical fields, responsible for produceability of designs, and budget schedule constraints. Typically works on more than one project at a time.
- Demonstrates effective verbal and written communications skills. Assists with the preparation of presentations.
Compensation & Benefits
- Hiring Salary Range: $77,500- $115,500 (Salary to be determined by the applicant’s education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity and alignment with market data.)
- Other Compensation: This role will be eligible to participate in the annual incentive compensation plan.
- Regular Full-Time Salaried and Hourly positions: Ball includes a comprehensive benefits structure, Go to our career site and click "Total Rewards" to learn more.
Ball Corporation has been made aware of reports involving fraudulent job offers. These often appear legitimate, but Ball does not make job offers until after a candidate has submitted a job application and has participated in a face-to-face interview (In person or via WebEx). All email correspondence from Ball Corporation ends in “@ball.com.” Please also be advised that Ball will never request payment or require candidates to deposit a check during the recruitment and onboarding processes. If you have questions about any open positions at Ball, please visit our careers website at https://jobs.ball.com/.
If you have applied to a position and have been asked for personal information through LinkedIn, please notify LinkedIn directly.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans