Sr Director of Engineering Digital Transformation at Sierra Space (Greater Boulder Area, CO)
Sierra Space, based in Louisville, Colorado with operations in Madison, Wisconsin and Durham, North Carolina, designs and manufactures advanced spacecraft, satellites, propulsion and environmental systems, spacecraft subsystems and components for the U.S. government (including NASA), commercial customers and international organizations. Learn more about Sierra Space
- Provide Leadership and Oversight (management) to Create, Maintain & Deliver Business Systems and Digital Transformation Solutions.
- Proactively seek digital transformation advancements in technology from multiple sources including our digital transformation partners, external company leaders executing digital transformation strategies and similar patterns to Sierra Space roadmap and seminars and user groups. Goal being to find those patterns that Sierra Space can scale and to identify "digital transformation science projects" that are not ready for scalable deployment.
- Liaison with software vendors, systems integrators and Business Sector staff to coordinate business process and engineering software solution development and deployment.
- Responsible for key areas of our Digital Transformation Engineering / Operations Infrastructure and Application Roadmaps, Integrated Software and Systems Architecture including our Siemens Digital Transformation Xcelerator backbone.
- Provide oversight and deployment leadership of major Digital Transformation efforts and their transformation into our Digital backbone, including PLM, MES, CAD Infrastructure, Connections to ERP, Engineering Analytics and KPI metrics, Program Management and Program scheduling.
- Ensure successful deployment and embracement by our Space Business Sectors stakeholders and end users. In support of their overall Engineering, Operations and overall Program Execution objectives.
- Lead operational technology team in the evaluation of existing and newly emerging digital transformation capabilities. Identify Gaps, determine feasible solutions and work with digital transformation partners to meet business sector needs and processes.
- Work with Engineering Support to implement scalable operating procedures, resolve system issues as new digital transformation technology moves from Production Minimum Viable Product (PMVP) to scalable digital transformation capabilities.
- Work with IT, Cyber, Security and other Stakeholders to, insure compliance, minimize disruption from system upgrades and cyber monitoring.
- Work Closely with Process Owners to ensure Engineering and operational tools, processes and training are, coordinated, consistent and efficient. Advise process owners on process changes to better utilize toolsets and optimize their practices.
- Prepare and present briefings to Business Stakeholders and Sierra Space Executive team on Digital Transformation deployment status, strategy, roadmap and value.
- Develop and track annual budgets for digital transformation deployment including Indirect labor (those employees who help direct labor), Common Community of Practice (CCoP) Business Sector Subject Matter Experts and Professional Services provided by 3rd party partners.
- With our Engineering Services group, develop or procure training materials for new digital transformation capabilities and coordinate with Learning Development to ensure users are trained effectively.
- Responsible for Staffing and Managing an appropriately resourced team across multiple locations.
- Hire and manage subcontractors/vendors that support digital transformation initiatives including Data migration, tool development and configurations.
- Typically 12-15+ years of relevant experience; 10+ years management experience
- Master's degree or higher in an Engineering or similar field of study
- Ability to quickly grasp technical concepts and understand complex technical and program interdependencies
- Previous management experience; ability to recruit employees; assign, direct, and evaluate their work; and oversee staffing development and maintenance
- Demonstrated passion for ideation and innovation, as well as motivating others to act by creating a shared sense of vision or purpose.
- Possess a strategic mindset, linking technology and business
- Team oriented with the ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Background in the Aerospace and Defense Industry, the US Department of Defense (Civilian), NASA/Civil or commercial space and/or US Military, with an understanding of defense, aerospace, intelligence, and adjacent markets
- The ability to obtain and maintain a Security Clearance may be required Learn more about the background check process for Security Clearances
To conform to U.S. Government international trade regulations, applicant must be a U.S. Citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State or U.S. Department of Commerce.
With 30+ years of proven spaceflight heritage, Sierra Space has provided more than 4,000 space systems, subsystems and components to customers worldwide, and participated in more than 500 missions to space, including to Mars. The company has technology in production and in development to enable space habitats for short- and long-duration space travel, a fleet of Dream Chaser spaceplanes, and the first free-flying commercial space station. Please visit www.sierraspace.com to learn more about Sierra Space, its business areas, capabilities, programs, products and services.
Estimated Starting Salary Range: $207,781.95 - $285,700.17
Sierra Space offers annual incentive pay based upon performance that is commensurate with the level of the position.
Sierra Space offers a generous benefit package, including medical, dental, and vision plans, 401(k) with 150% match up to 8%, life insurance, 3 weeks paid time off, tuition reimbursement, and more.
As COVID-19 continues to significantly impact our employees, families and communities, we are taking action to address the increased risk and uncertainty COVID-19 and associated variants pose in the workplace. SNC is committed to supporting our employees while ensuring we continue to meet essential national security needs of our country.
With employee health and safety as our top priority, and as a federal contractor, SNC will continue to require COVID-19 vaccination status for all employees including new hires. In accordance with applicable requirements, all current and newly hired employees who are unvaccinated may be required to adhere to enhanced onsite safety protocols including weekly COVID-19 testing, face coverings, and social distancing.
The status of applicable COVID-19 vaccination requirements are subject to change depending on applicable court orders and the course of ongoing litigation. Candidates may later be required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or have an approved exemption.
At Sierra Space, our mission is to dream, innovate, inspire and empower the next generation to transform humanity through technology and imagination. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we welcome our employees to bring their whole selves to their work. Sierra Space is committed to fostering an inclusive, accepting, and diverse environment free of discrimination on the basis of race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran. Contributions to Sierra Space come in many shapes and styles, and we believe diversity in our workforce fosters new and greater ways to dream, innovate, and inspire.