Sr Development Manager, DevOps -$1,000 Signing Bonus (Remote) at Vertafore
Vertafore is a leading technology company whose innovative software solutions are advancing the insurance industry. Our suite of products provides solutions to our customers that help them better manage their business, boost their productivity and efficiencies, and lower costs while strengthening relationships.
Our mission is to move InsurTech forward by putting people at the heart of the industry. We are leading the way with product innovation, technology partnerships, and focusing on customer success.
Our fast-paced and collaborative environment inspires us to create, think, and challenge each other in ways that make our solutions and our teams better.
We are headquartered in Denver, Colorado, with offices across the U.S., Canada, and India.
Vertafore is looking for a Sr. Development Manager in DevOps to lead multiple growing DevOps teams.
At Vertafore we work with a diverse set of systems and technologies. You'll get a chance to help advance our DevOps practice within the company. This will include automating infrastructure deployments, collaborating with development teams to implement state-of-the-art build and deployment pipelines, and defining the future of DevOps within Vertafore.
Our DevOps teams are responsible for supporting multiple products and development teams in automating infrastructure, build pipelines, deployment, and production support. Some days we're working closely with development teams to learn their pain points and come up with creative and fully automated solutions. Some days we're working to ensure our build and release pipelines are working well and releasing quality code as quickly as possible. Other days we are working on production issues that directly impact our customers. Vertafore gives you a chance to learn and use a wide variety of skills while working alongside with some amazing people.
Our technology stack is largely Linux based, with most of our code being written in Java. We also work with many opensource technologies and platforms.
Over the next few years, we'll be working on several initiatives including:
- Moving our source code to GitLab
- Working with development teams to support our world-class development processes
- Rebuilding and improving build pipelines for maximum value
- Automating both infrastructure and code deployment
- Migration of our SaaS solutions into AWS
- Implementing monitoring and alerting to identify when we have issues.
Core Requirements and Responsibilities:
Essential job functions include but are not limited to the following:
- Automate manual processes (e.g., build, configuration, security)
- Implement Continuous Deployment (CD) and Continuous Integration (CI) to promote changes across environments
- Provision and support infrastructure using tools such as CloudFormation, Terraform, and Chef
- Design metrics to track system reliability and alerts through tools such as Sensu, ELK, and CloudWatch
- Work across teams to integrate, configure, manage, and support production systems
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Skills and Technologies we use regularly:
- General system administration
- Linux (OEL, AWS2)
- Data technologies (Oracle, Postgres, Cassandra, Kafka)
- Middleware technologies (WebLogic, SprintBoot, Jetty)
- AWS (S3, EBS, EC2, ELB/ALB, VPC)
- Infrastructure provisioning Tools (CloudFormation, Terraform, Chef)
- Networking (DNS, firewalls, etc.)
- Deep system administration experience
- 3+ years leading software development or infrastructure related teams
- Knowledge of Infrastructure Provisioning Tools (Terraform, CloudFormation, or similar)
- Experience using a configuration management tool (Chef, Ansible, Puppet, or similar)
- 1-2 years working with a cloud provider (AWS, Azure, GCP)
- Experience putting together build pipelines (Jenkins, Bamboo, GitLab, TFS, TeamCity, etc.)
- Have an intense passion for technology, problem solving, and delighting customers
- Have a proven track record in leading development and operations of enterprise web delivery platforms and services in a high performance and high-availability SaaS environment
- Have experience troubleshooting complex production issues at scale and under tight timelines
- Develop and communicate compelling analyses and recommendations over aggregate trends from internal feedback
- Are energetic, effectively managing relationships (up, down, across) and able to roll-up their sleeves to get the job done
- Think strategically to help drive features and services for short and long-term growth
- Provide strong people management: attracting, retaining, inspiring, and growing individuals; demonstrate a passion for people development and mobility
Additional Requirements and Details:
- Travel required up to 10% of the time
- Ability to work remotely with a stable internet connection
- Occasional lifting and/or moving up to 10 pounds
- Frequent repetitive hand and arm movements required to operate a computer
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision (working on a computer, etc.)
- Frequent sitting and/or standing