Sr. Data Engineer
Gusto is fundamentally changing how the world works by empowering everyone to put people first. Gusto reimagines payroll, benefits, HR, and personal finance by automating the most complicated, impersonal business tasks and making them simple and delightful.
We are proud to have built a product that our customers love, and we’re looking for talented and motivated data engineers to join our growing team in the San Francisco office.
Here’s what you’ll do:
- Be an owner as you architect, build, and refine our data infrastructure technologies, using our development workflow — the outcome of your work will drive decisions that affect billions of dollars of transactions
- Build and refine a fault-tolerant data ingestion pipeline into our data warehouse, while helping guide the decisions about the future of our data infrastructure
- Thoroughly evaluate edge cases, ambiguities, and architectural scalability
- Write complex and efficient queries to transform raw data sources into easily accessible models for our teams (e.g., Product, Growth, Finance, Risk)
- Work with data scientists to productize and develop predictive modeling pipelines
- Care deeply about helping millions of small business owners focus on what they love
- Be surrounded by people who are doing the best work of their lives and loving every moment of it
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- At least 5 years of software engineering experience (Python, Ruby or Java), with at least 2 years experience in a data focused role
- Passion for creating data infrastructure technologies from scratch using the right tools for the job
- Experience building and maintaining a data warehouse in production environments
- Experience with AWS tools
- Expertise in building out data pipelines, efficient ETL design, implementation, and maintenance
- Experience with systems for transforming large datasets such as Spark and Hadoop
- Ability to turn vague requirements into clear deliverables with minimal guidance
- Exposure to statistical and data mining techniques
Here's more about the team with a few highlights from our engineering blog:
- How We Built a Service-Driven Team
- Our Diversity Goals and Efforts
- Our Principles and Values
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto’s mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life. By making complicated, impersonal business tasks simple and personal, Gusto is reimagining HR, payroll, and benefits for over 60,000 companies nationwide. Gusto has offices in San Francisco and Denver and the company’s investors include Google Capital, General Catalyst, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, as well as the founders of Instagram, Stripe, Nest, PayPal, Yelp, Dropbox, and Eventbrite, among others.