Outrider, the pioneer in autonomous yard operations for logistics hubs, helps large enterprises improve safety and increase efficiency. The only company exclusively focused on automating all aspects of yard operations, Outrider eliminates manual tasks that are hazardous and repetitive. Outrider’s mission is to drive the rapid adoption of sustainable freight transportation by deploying zero-emission systems. Outrider is a private company backed by NEA, 8VC, and other top-tier investors. For more information, visit www.outrider.ai
The Autonomous Vehicle (AV) Software System Test Engineer will report to the Director of Test Engineering and will be responsible for executing a variety of Software- and System-level tests on the entire Outrider system or its subsystems, which include: Electric Vehicle (EV) platform, AV sensors and compute, robotic trailer-connect arm, and V2I infrastructure. The test environment scope for this role includes Simulation, HIL Bench and AV Trucks.
This position plays an essential role in helping deliver a safety-critical system for industrial automation. The opportunity offers a very talented, self-starting engineer the chance to help develop a market-defining enterprise product that combines autonomous vehicle technology with a software-as-a-service (SaaS) business model.
The ideal candidate will embrace our goal to drive zero-emission, self-driving vehicle adoption, and help us realize our potential to define, build, and lead a new, category of robotic automation for the enterprise.
Duties and responsibilities
- Design, organize and conduct Software System tests to verify and validate the performance and safety characteristics of the entire system or subsystems, including Software, Robotic Arm, EV truck and Autonomous Vehicle sensor suite.
- Architect and implement test plans and procedures on a variety of Software System tests that stress the product in ways that represent real-world customer use cases.
- Lead day-to-day test activities, debug issues with the test environments, and develop new test capability by working hands-on at the relevant HIL benches and AV trucks, and Simulation platforms.
- Conduct detailed root-cause analysis on issues found during test using common problem solving methods, and document all findings in JIRA.
- Develop data analysis scripts and visualization tools to quickly extract key learnings and trends from the Software System testing.
- Effectively communicate test results and issues to the Lead Software System Test Engineer and peers on the Engineering teams.
- Drive and advise the Engineering teams on how to approach and implement strong, testable Software and System requirements based on learnings from testing.
- Define software and hardware test harnesses and work with mechanical and electrical engineering personnel to implement them.
- Embody a "Safety Steward" mindset - hold all persons accountable for safety on test trucks, equipment and area, and proactively propose safety improvements.
- Work with the team to understand and prioritize test exceptions and help drive toward a product that meets all customer, business, and technical expectations.
- Domestic travel as needed to perform field work, training, or customer support (up to 20%)
- 2 or more years' experience testing Software Systems such as robotics, autonomous vehicles, or other automotive/aerospace products
- Experience developing or using a simulation test environment
- Proven capability in problem-solving complex systems, software or robotics
- Experience with the software development life cycle, modern software/hardware/system testing methods, and continuous integration
- BS or MS in Engineering or Computer Science or a similar discipline
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical, curious mindset
- Sterling references
- Experience with autonomous trucks or other automated distribution yard products
- Experience developing or using Hardware-in-the-Loop (HIL) test benches
- Experience with Jenkins, JIRA and Confluence
- Experience in ROS
- Experience with C++ and Python
- Comfortable with Linux and command-line interface