Software Engineering Manager at DAT Solutions
The Software Engineering Manager is responsible for the overall architecture and technical direction of one or more software engineering teams. This individual must be highly proficient with current software development technology, tools, and practices, particularly in the area of Software As A Service model. The candidate must have experience with microservices, API design, cloud-native architectures, and possess the ability to understand the implementation level details. The successful candidate will be able to steer projects toward the grand solution, be business savvy and drive design solutions that meet customer needs and constraints. Additionally, this person has responsibility for the growth and mentoring of the entire software engineering team, as well as the individual team members.
· Collaborate with product management to drive software engineering projects
· Exhibit technology leadership by participating in architecture and technology decisions
· with architects and fellow senior leadership
· Participate in architecture & technology roadmap planning
· Observe, coach and facilitate effective communication and alignment among product,
· architecture and engineering teams
· Contribute to project plans and product roadmaps, specifically in the areas of task
· breakdown, estimating, and scheduling
· Capacity planning for initiatives and staffing engineers with the necessary skills and
· ensuring that engineering teams remain relevant and prepared to deliver through training and professional development plans.
Team Management Responsibilities
· Communicate status of projects and team progress reports up the management chain
· Provide consistent team goals, objectives
· Continually seek to identify, remove impediments to progress and success
· Provide guidance and direction to all members of our Agile team(s).
· Provide mentoring and career development to individual team members of every discipline and experience level.
· Champion initiatives to consistently improve software engineering teams
· Actively seek to attract new talent and improve the hiring process
· Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
· Prior experience managing software engineering teams in an agile environment
· Prior experience managing software engineering teams in an external facing product company
· Communication - Ability to communicate (written and verbal) effectively with others
· Collaboration - Ability to present, communicate, exchange and influence ideas
· Interpersonal - Ability to present, communicate, exchange and influence ideas
· Emotional Intelligence - Awareness of the emotional needs of self and others
· Strong Work Ethic - Ability to keep focused on work necessary to accomplish goals
· Problem Solving - Ability to solve problems based on the needs of the problem
· Self-Management - Ability to be aware of self and manage your unique limitations
· Research - Ability to generate ideas, investigate, and discover outcome to a goal
· Adaptability - Adapt to challenges, accept differences and progress despite conflict
· Leadership - A supportive peer, mentor, support, leader, or example for others
· Professionalism - Ability to maintain ethics and morale throughout categories of skills
· Knowledge of Modern Server Frameworks such as Node, Spark, or Sprint Boot
· Knowledge of Modern Web UI Frameworks such as Angular or React
· Familiarity with Cloud-Native Development such as in AWS, Azure, or Google
· Knowledge of Microservices established best practices
· Knowledge of REST APIs established best practices
· Knowledge of Design Principles and Patterns
· Practical experience with OO and/or Functional Programming
· Practical experience with unit testing
· Strong experience with Agile and at least one agile methodology such as SCRUM, XP, or SAFE
The life of an Engineering Manager
As a Software Engineering Manager at our client, this is an opportunity to manage a software development team of highly motivated agile engineers. Your engineers will build software that drives our SaaS platform in the cloud. Your team will work with cutting edge tools to develop code that is reliable, maintainable, and scalable. Your team will work full stack, from building microservices to creating compelling user experiences on top of the latest web and mobile technologies. The team develops, tests and delivers solutions through our CI/CD environments and deploy your solutions to our customers hosted in AWS.
Is this opportunity right for you?
· Are you passionate about people?
· Do you appreciate that software isn’t just a technical challenge but a human one?
· Do you believe that culture is at the heart of great teams and is based on respect, healthy conflict and continuous improvement?
· Do you understand the difficulties and challenges that come with being an engineer working long days, innovating or bug fixing solutions while keeping your skills sharp? Do you appreciate the need to listen and exhibit the vulnerable values that make you approachable by your staff?
· Does your compassionate demeanor disarm the most challenged of engineers?
· Does your style foster engineers that grow them into truly envied professionals that are Humble, Hungry and Smart?
If this sounds like you, read on...
Who are we looking for?
Experienced. You have experience as a technical leader and manager. You’ve built entire systems and have led others to do the same. You understand the value of a productive day’s work and expect that from those around you. You help your team build solutions that don’t keep them up at night. You love heroes, but you don’t want to see them very often.
A listener. You listen more than you speak. In fact, you love it when your team finds the right solution and you don’t have to contribute at all. You embrace that sometimes the best solution for a problem is just to be there for those who are having trouble and help them process or explore alternatives to the situation. You aspire to build relationships where respect, trust and loyalty are earned from your employees. You hope that your example will in turn help them to do the same.
Compassionate. You thrive in seeing your employees see the positive side of anything. You seek to understand the unique strengths and weaknesses of your team. You embrace that every individual quality makes up a healthy and diverse skill set of the team. You believe that with the right leadership, every quality can be improved or utilized effectively in the right circumstances. You seek to find your team members the best fit. You understand that change is hard and takes time, effort and compassion.
Pragmatic. Your team loves to build and build fast; and so do you. You'd rather deliver 40% of a solution in 2 weeks than 80% of a solution in six. You believe in iterative and rapid development that fosters feedback, learning and continuous improvement. You love to see your team ship code and provide customer value and help them avoid making perfect the enemy of good*.
Impactful. You motivate your team to do amazing work. You're all about helping your team use technology to improve the customer experience and affect the company's bottom line. You do that by helping your employees be the best at what they do. You give your employees and the team opportunities to grow and learn new skills and aptitudes that benefit them as an individual and the team.
Cultural. You believe that we work-to-live, not live-to-work. You enjoy creating a flexible and enjoyable work environment that your employees appreciate and can’t find anywhere else. You believe in team over self and nurture the culture within your team and your peers that puts the team, organization and customers first. You look to cultivate team-oriented activities and help your team members build relationships in and outside of work. You hold dear those who exhibit these values the most as they help you expand a positive team and organizational culture.
What will your day look like?
Deliver Results. Collaborate with your team to produce lean, rapid and predictable solutions in a repeatable and transparent way. Help your team develop solutions that improve your delivery rate, keep debt to a minimum, maintain a high level of quality and in a way that thrills our customers!
Develop your team. Participate in hiring programs and candidate reviews for your team. Conduct 1-on-1s. Develop employee profiles. Develop quarterly goal-oriented and measurable scorecards. Develop positive onboarding experiences within the team. Develop continuous education and training programs that foster cross-functional skills. Perform quarterly and annual performance reviews assisting your technical professionals to achieve skills that align with their personal and professional goals. Ensure a no-surprises performance management environment.
Provide Leadership. Collaborate with product management and architecture to create development roadmaps and ensure the decomposition of vision to work. Support technical leads and architects as they work to provide incremental design and architectural runway for development teas. Coach and mentor technical leaders to ensure development teams are applying and improving agile engineering best practices. Continually improve your management skills and invite your staff and peers to do the same. You participate in or lead training in soft skills development or leadership. In short, you practice what you preach.
Be a supporting member. As part of the management team, collaborate with other engineering managers and leaders. Work with the hiring team to improve our strategy to obtain, retain and maintain best-of-breed technical professionals. Work with the management team to evaluate and evolve engineering processes over time. Assist in the ongoing development of team-of-teams collaboration and programs for cross-functional technical excellence. Support cross-functional inter-team, intra-team and cross-organizational mentorship programs which foster innovation and distribution of domain knowledge. Assist in cultivating inter-organizational technical and innovative thought leadership.
Live the culture. Embody the company values and work to positively support and cultivate culture in those around you. Don’t just participate but assist and/or lead in organizing internal and external company events. Encourage participation in and cultivation of team oriented activities by your employees and peers. Develop a community of appreciation, respect, compassion and excellence.
Why we might be the right fit for you
We aspire to be great:
We want the technologies we wield and the products we create to be equally inspiring. We want to match best in class products with best in class innovations.
Technology is a tool, not a religion:
We see technology differently... While software development and technologies are our craft we see them holistically as the languages and the tools we are capable of wielding. We embrace our ability to communicate, build and deliver in many mediums and as such we hold ourselves to a standard not limited by what a specific stack can or can’t do but rather what we, as innovators, can achieve using any technology or methodology.
We want our engineers to thrive:
As engineers, building software is our craft; we just happen to be fortunate enough to be paid for doing it. We embrace engineers' individual creativity and curiosity as the foundation of the team’s ability to deliver innovative results that thrill our customers. We pride ourselves on providing our engineers with opportunities to express their creativity and to support them in continuously reaching higher levels of innovation and excellence
Why we might not be the right fit for you
You don’t like change:
In our view, there are only two directions to progress; forward and back. Fear of change can lead to complacency and we, as technologists, find complacency unacceptable. There is certainly a time and need for stability, however we also believe that this needs to be balanced with continuous learning and growth; so we embrace change.
You prefer to fly solo:
We are the collaborative type and believe that the success of the individual is rooted in the success of the team and the environment the team creates for individuals to grow. This requires everyone to do their part to help the team grow and mature and requires all members to consider the team first.
You are inflexible regarding tech stack:
We all have preferences but we also believe that for us to remain leaders in technology we have to have the courage and curiosity to explore and use new technologies and new techniques. We are interested in looking at known and unknown challenges through new and different points of view.