Software Engineering Manager - Platform at CampMinder
Date posted: 10/20/2021 and will remain posted until filled
Time to complete application: 10-15 minutes
How to apply: https://campminder.com/join-the-team/
Ideal start timeline: December (flexible)
Compensation: Our target hiring range is $145,000-155,000k plus eligibility for bonus. Actual compensation will be commensurate with experience and skills.
Location: Colorado (Boulder/Denver area) preferred, or remote in GA, NC, MI, NE, NJ, NY, TX, or WA.
At CampMinder, we build web and mobile enterprise SaaS products that help summer camps streamline their business operations. As the Platform Engineering Manager at CampMinder, you are responsible for the technical delivery of your team: aligning with product and leadership on roadmaps, owning your deliverables commitments and growing your team’s technical expertise. Reporting to the VP of Engineering you will have the opportunity to collaborate with and bring your strong experience in technical leadership and solid background in platform engineering.
Hire and onboard new team members
- Develop relationships with your team, support, and coach them through regular 1 on 1 meetings
- Set specific goals with each team member and position them for success
- Support overall career development and growth
- Support timely delivery of technical solutions to address engineering needs
- Participate in technology discussions and advocate for better Software Development Life Cycle practices
- Grow the technical expertise of your team and promote best practices
- Own and manage the teams’ delivery commitments/work and hold them accountable
- Grow a healthy, collaborative culture in line with CampMinder’s 6 Core Values
- Be an example and a promoter of transparency and open communication
- Encourage experiments, fast learning, and fast failure
- Encourage controlled risk taking and learning from mistakes
- Support and drive efforts to create a diverse team, employ equitable practices, and nurture an inclusive work environment within your team and the Engineering organization
Leadership & Collaboration
- Collaborate closely with the Engineering leadership team, peers, and other leaders in the organization
- Be a partner of Product and Engineering and work together to consistently align on roadmap and priorities
- Facilitate collaboration between teams, product managers, and stakeholders
- Demonstrate servant-leadership and encourage others to lead as well
- Advocate for Agile methodologies and help promote great organizational practices
- Be a student of Agile and help apply where it makes sense for the organization
- Run some Agile ceremonies for your team and even act a bit as a Scrum Master
- Own and maintain parts of the engineering budget
- Maintain a relationship and communicate with our 3d party vendors
- Own and maintain our 3d party licenses
You are a good fit for this role if you bring the following:
When managing people, I…
- Value each person as an individual and treat them with respect
- Push my team members outside their comfort zone to help them grow
- Am candid, upfront, and transparent with my team and colleagues
- Love developing and growing people and have a track record of doing it
- Thrive when helping individuals to become their best
My Management/Leadership background has demonstrated...
- 5+ years of management experience with at least 2-3 of those on a Platform/Infrastructure/DevOps/SRE team
- Confidence in my opinion, but also genuine interest in what others have to say
- Excellent listening - no, not the cliche, I truly am
- Decisive decision making but not rash and/or emotional
- Strong management AND leadership, and I know the difference between them
My Technology background is strong in…
- DevOps: deployment pipelines/processes, test automation pipelines, and code repositories and production releases
- SRE: system and environment availability and performance, environment structure and architecture, cloud management and optimization, and disaster Recovery (DR)
- Security: system and environment security, data security, ransomware protection, network security, environment, server, and system access control
Organization and Execution - I’m experienced in...
- Team Work Planning - Sprint / PI planning, prioritizing my team’s work, defining a Roadmap, and managing a Backlog
- Agile development environment, Scrum, Kanban, and acting as a Scrum Master
- Team Leadership- understanding where the team is at any one point, having a keen sense when people are getting sidetracked or hitting a brick wall and not asking for help, or knowing when my team is deviating from the plan
Strategy and Vision
- Creating a strategy and vision for the platform/infrastructure to optimize SRE/DevOps/Security
- Staying current on technology and industry trends to bring new ideas/technologies
- Ability to make trade-off decisions considering efficiency, value, cost, etc.
A few of the benefits CampMinder is proud to offer:
Wide selection of medical, dental, and vision coverage options (the company's contribution covers 100% of at least one option for each)
- A variety of resources to support mental health and emotional well-being
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave for all new parents, including via adoption, surrogacy, and foster care
- 401(k) with 4% company matching, vested immediately
- Trust-Based (flexible) PTO (and yes, we use it!)
- Monthly wellness allowance
Our employees have the option to work fully remote or a mix of days at home and in the office. Currently, all employees working on-site are required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination. We are beginning to host office socials and celebrations again so it’s great to have local folks excited about joining us in-person occasionally. We require anybody working remote to have a very reliable, high-speed internet connection.
We're actively taking steps to make sure our culture is inclusive and that our processes and practices promote equity for all, including people of color, people from working-class backgrounds, women, and members of the LGBTQ+ community. We welcome and encourage applications from people with these identities or members of other marginalized groups.
Research shows that women and people of color tend not to apply to jobs unless they believe they are 100% qualified and apply to fewer senior-level positions. With that in mind, we encourage you to apply if you're not sure whether you meet our qualifications. We'd love to have the opportunity to consider you!