Software Engineer at Xero
Small business makes the world go 'round – it's the heart of the global economy. At Xero we want millions of small businesses to thrive through beautiful software, advice and connections. We aim to make being a small business more efficient and profitable, and more enjoyable too.
How you'll make an impact
Based in Denver, you will be part of the Backups team, a cross-functional agile infrastructure development team. Our goal is to create a platform solution in AWS for Xero product engineering teams in a highly automated fashion. You will write API-first software to deploy, monitor, and maintain Xero's core platform.
You'll be able to work in collaboration with your team and other Xero's to help create and deliver beautiful software to our customers, faster. You'll regard engineering teams as your customers, and test, measure and learn how best to provide them value.
You'll maintain the standard for engineering excellence at Xero and support your team members in building collaborative products together. You'll contribute to our cross functional environment working towards the same objectives, using modern techniques.
You'll help build and manage software that solves engineering problems at scale. You will be enabled to seek clarity with technical complexities and be able to demonstrate smart ways to simplify. You'll be able to make data driven based decisions that will release value early to solve Xero customers' problems more effectively.
What you'll do
- Be customer-focused; develop robust, high quality work based on informed technical decisions to reduce barriers for customers.
- Be kind; embrace our culture where we encourage diversity in a psychologically safe workplace. Voice your own opinion while considering the opinions of others.
- Be engaged; actively contribute to your team activities, initiatives and technological challenges, while working towards your product roadmaps. Maintain processes and monitoring to drive incremental improvement.
- Be collaborative; work with the team and others to achieve a good outcome using a working style that suits the problem at hand. Take operational responsibility for services, which may include 24x7 on call rotation.
- Be coached; proactively work with your manager on your personal and career development, highlighting any training/development needs and following through with actions agreed.
Success looks like
- Contribute to roadmap and aligning with the agreed vision
- Take ownership of personal/career development
- Communicate effectively and respectfully giving and receiving feedback
- Display empathy and inclusion in interactions with others
- Meeting agreed Service Level Objectives for operational performance
- Ensure continued improvement in ways of working for efficient delivery
- Provide support and guidance to teams that use our platform services
- Play an active role within the Communities of Practice in Xero
- Hands-on experience automating infrastructure in a cloud environment, preferably AWS
- A strong desire to automate testing processes, build software tools, and create infrastructure-as-code solutions in a DevOps environment
- Practical experience with infrastructure-as-code (with tools like Powershell, Golang, Cloudformation, Terraform, Ansible, Chef, etc.)
- Experience with an object-oriented programming language (like Python, C#, Java, etc.)
- Understanding of REST APIs
- Familiarity with agile software development methodology and tooling, including continuous integration and continuous delivery
- Exceptional troubleshooting and analytical abilities
What you'll bring with you
- Living the vision & values: Keeps Xero's vision and values at the forefront of decision-making, actions, communication and behaviors.
- Delivery: Has track record of innovating and delivering technology in a team and solving customer's problems through software.
- Growth mind-set: Understands that competency is not fixed but is enhanced through dedication and hard work.
- Self-awareness: Has an awareness of EQ and is capable of recognizing one's own emotions and of those around you.
- Balance: Maintains a healthy personal/work-life harmony. Considers the wide range of learning and social opportunities at Xero against the needs of the team.
- Great communication skills: Speak and write clearly, succinctly and articulately without relying on jargon.
- Relationship building: Successfully builds trust and credibility with stakeholders and team.
- 2+ years experience in delivering code to production in a commercial environment.
- Proven ability to work with others and navigate areas of conflict in an open, positive and proactive way.
- Experience with modern product and engineering principles and practices.
What we offer
The opportunity to be part of a growing global success story; a fun, fast-paced work environment and a relaxed, supportive team which encourages personal growth; competitive salary, shares in the company; generous 4-weeks of PTO, 5 wellness days, standard holidays and office closure between Christmas and New Year's; flexible work arrangements and a plush new office environment in downtown Denver.
If you are ready to take on a new challenge in a fast-paced organization where the sky's the limit we want to hear from you.
This position description is intended merely as a guideline of the responsibilities involved in the position. The employee is expected to perform any other duties as reasonably required by their Manager.