Software Engineer at Ibotta
Ibotta is looking for a Software Engineer to build software that makes every purchase rewarding for our savers. As part of the engineering team, you will work on the platform that powers our apps that are used by millions of consumers. We're looking for a self-motivated engineer who has a real passion for building and scaling systems using technologies such as Java, Kotlin, Ruby, TypeScript in an event-driven microservices architecture. Every engineer has input into our product process and will have a real impact as part of one of our small, nimble teams.
We have multiple openings that specialize in different areas of our business, and are looking for all of the following:
- software engineers to help build the backend to support our mobile and online apps
- software engineers to help build foundational microservices upon which other engineers in the company can build
- fullstack engineers to help build our internal tools and online products
- software engineers with fintech experience to help build out our payments products
Here is what you’ll be doing:
- Work with a cross-functional team to design and develop systems, services, and new features.
- Stay abreast of the ever-changing technology landscape to identify the best tools and technologies for the problems we’re solving
- Use Amazon’s AWS infrastructure and advanced services daily
- Build new event-driven microservices using the right language/tool for the job. Our current microservices are written in a variety of languages including Java, Kotlin, Ruby, and TypeScript.
- Identify and fix performance bottlenecks
- Comfortable working with big datasets
- Write tests and perform code reviews to ensure that we're shipping reliable, readable, and reusable code
- Leverage our CI/CD pipeline to ship code to production many times daily
- Research and implement technology solutions for reliable, scalable, high-performing services
Here is what we’re looking for:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field and 5+ years of experience in software development
- Experience across relevant technologies such as Java, Kotlin, Ruby, TypeScript, etc.
- Extensive knowledge of SQL and NoSQL type databases like MySQL, Aurora, DynamoDB, and Redis is valuable, but knowing when to use each is far more important
- Working knowledge of Unix/Linux
- You know how to use Git. You still consult the internet for more advanced topics but you can get around just fine.
- Knowledge of object-oriented software design, development, and architectural principles
- High level of comfort with testing approaches and frameworks, from unit testing to automated testing
Nice to have:
- Ruby on Rails
- Building APIs for internal or external applications
- Experience with AWS technologies such as DynamoDB, Kinesis, Elastic MapReduce, or Lambda
- Experience working with event-driven architectures
- Experience with Datadog’s APM, Tracing, Metrics, and Logging products
- Automated testing using tools such as RSpec, JUnit, Mocha, and Chai
- Scrum/Kanban/Agile development
Here are some of the traits that we seek in great engineers:
- love to teach and learn from your co-workers
- look for ways to continually challenge yourself and develop as an engineer
- embrace the DevOps culture and accept ownership of the whole development and delivery lifecycle
- understand that communication is a huge part of your software engineering responsibility and practice it daily
- value the up-front investment of thoroughly testing your code
- respect diverse perspectives and like collaborating with other engineers to solve hard problems
- appreciate that delivering products incrementally helps provide value to the business as early as possible
- trust your teammates, and embrace healthy conflict and debate. You are not afraid to voice your opinions, but you are okay with not always being right
Headquartered in Denver, CO, Ibotta (“I bought a...“) is a free app that's transforming the shopping experience by making every purchase rewarding. The company partners with leading brands and retailers to offer real cash back on groceries, travel, electronics, clothing, gifts, home and office supplies, dining out, and much more. Ibotta is the ultimate starting point for savings, and having paid out more than $500 million in cash rewards to its Savers, it's no surprise why Ibotta is one of the most downloaded shopping apps in the United States
Learn more about Ibotta here: https://liferewarded.ibotta.com/press-and-media/
This position is located in Denver, CO and includes competitive pay, benefits package (including medical, dental, vision), 401k, commuter stipend, and equity. Ibotta provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, and genetics. Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.