Software Engineer (Ruby on Rails) at Travelers Haven
Travelers Haven seeks a Software Engineer with strong abstract problem-solving abilities to join our Engineering team. You will work directly with the executive team and the employees using our software to help shape the future of our company. Our team is small but focused on shipping quality product. The ideal candidate for this position is willing and able to work full-stack and do CSS/JS as needed but gravitates more towards the back-end systems side.
In this position, you will be making architectural decisions with other resources, building new features and performing maintenance for a complex yet reliable Ruby on Rails environment with an Angular/React front-end. We have big goals for 2019 and need to be proactive about capacity planning and systems performance.
We offer flexible working arrangements and are a highly collaborative team. The right candidate wants to be a go-to resource for their areas of responsibility, share what they know and learn from teammates.
Candidates not currently living in Colorado are encouraged to apply IF they can commit to being in Denver within four weeks after receiving an offer.
How We Work:
- We ship code daily to our production, staging, and continuous integration environments. Test results, deployments, and production monitoring alerts are posted to Slack.
- We do two-week sprints (Scrum/Kanban mix). Outside of daily standups and weekly sprint planning and retrospectives, we keep meetings to an absolute minimum to maximize development time.
- We play to each team member’s strengths. Whether you skew frontend or backend, you’ll primarily be using the skills you’re best at and enjoy the most, but be expected to jump in anywhere as needed.
- We currently all use Mac desktops for development but if you prefer Linux that’s good too.
- 3+ years of professional web development. The more Ruby, the better.
- 2+ years of Ruby on Rails
- Strong computer science problem-solving ability for creating, testing, and optimizing scalable algorithms.
- Good communication skills. Whether it's interfacing with a client via email or working with an internal team communication is paramount for our team's continued success.
- Experience with high-volume, public-facing production applications and performance testing.
- Experience with implementing web application security best practices.
- The ideal candidate would have experience with the following:
- Heroku and Amazon Web Services
- REST/SOAP APIs
- RSpec and TDD
- HTML/CSS/JS (vanilla or jQuery)
- Medical, dental, vision, and supplemental insurance
- 401k plan
- Unlimited paid vacation
- Paid holidays, sick time, and volunteer opportunities
- Discounted hotel rates
- Paid parental leave
- Craft brews and ciders on tap
- Company-sponsored social events and happy hours
- Paid gym membership
- Free organic fruit, snacks, and beverages
- Relaxed office and dress code
- Free on-site parking
- Unmatched views of the Rocky Mountains