Software Engineer, Infrastructure
Build and Release Engineering
Product Infrastructure builds our continuous integration, artifact building, and deployment mechanisms. We support Gusto engineers at every step of the software lifecycle.
You’ll work on (and learn) static analysis and linting, automated test suite management, online database migration, deployment, monitoring, and anything else your team builds for product developers.
Shared Product Services
Every product team needs to read user data, send emails, and perform other core product operations. The Product Infrastructure team creates Gusto-specific product components that are shared across all products. We extract and refactor the things every product engineer needs and we offer them behind a usable API in highly-available services. We’re just starting this work so you can make a huge impact. We have a few veterans who’ve done this at other companies to guide you and teach you how to be great at this.
At Gusto we believe security is accomplished by keeping things simple. The secure way for an employee to do their work should also be the most convenient. Product Infrastructure makes tools that protect the personal data of 60,000+ small businesses and their employees. You don’t need a security background to contribute to this work, you mostly just need good taste. We’ll teach you the cryptography right when you need it.
Here’s what you’ll do (and we’ll support you so you’re great at it):
- Ensure our services communicate with each other seamlessly, have minimal downtime, and recover quickly.
- Collaborate with the rest of the engineering team on coming up with best practices for writing, maintaining and running reliable services.
- Improve our infrastructure setup and deployment strategies.
- Impact the productivity and happiness of our entire team with the tools you build. You'll be the daily recipient of hugs and high-fives from our engineering and support teams.
- Collaborate with the tools development team to improve our deploy pipeline.
- Pager-duty rotation: Never fear! Most issues occur during work hours.
- Work with our product engineering teams to ensure high performance of our services.
You'll know you're a good fit for this role if you have:
- 3+ years of experience in a Platform or SRE role using a Ruby/Chef/AWS stack or similar technologies
- Experience developing best practices to build out and maintain secure infrastructure, CI systems, service oriented applications, and more
- Enjoys working and deploying technologies such as Chef, AWS, Ruby, Rails, MySql, and Redis
- Loves building tools enabling engineers to move faster, while maintaining security
- Always have a background process running in your brain asking: "How can I automate this?"
- Understands the importance of security and compliance when working with personal data
- Tests infrastructure changes thoroughly and like to double and triple check everything
Learn more about the team:
- Our Engineering Culture and Values
- How We Built a Service-Driven Team
- Our Diversity Goals and Efforts
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto’s mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life. By making complicated, impersonal business tasks simple and personal, Gusto is reimagining HR, payroll, and benefits for over 60,000 companies nationwide. Gusto has offices in San Francisco and Denver and the company’s investors include Google Capital, General Catalyst, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, as well as the founders of Instagram, Stripe, Nest, PayPal, Yelp, Dropbox, and Eventbrite, among others.