Software Engineer, Domain Events Squad at Handshake (Greater Denver Area, CO or Remote)
We are thrilled to announce Handshake’s $200M Series F funding round. At Handshake, we believe that a career opportunity shouldn’t be determined by who you know or what you’ve done. It’s about what you can - and will - do. Your future, not your past. Our Series F fundraise and new valuation of $3.5B will fuel our next phase of growth and propel our mission to help more people start, restart, and jumpstart their careers.
Handshake is the #1 place to launch a career with no connections, experience, or luck required. Handshake’s community includes 20 million students and young alumni around the world from 1,400 educational institutions, including four-year colleges, community colleges, boot camps, and 290+ minority-serving institutions. The platform connects up-and-coming talent with 650,000+ employers - from Fortune 500 companies like Google, Nike, and Target to thousands of public school districts, healthcare systems, nonprofits, and even sports teams like the LA Dodgers. Handshake is headquartered in San Francisco with offices in Denver, New York, and London and teammates working globally.
Everyone is welcome at Handshake. We know diverse teams build better products and we are committed to creating an inclusive culture built on a foundation of respect for all individuals. We strongly encourage candidates from non-traditional backgrounds, historically marginalized or underrepresented groups to apply.
If you are not sure that you’re 100% qualified, but up for the challenge – we want you to apply. We believe skills are transferable and passion for our mission goes a long way.
Handshake is hiring a Software Engineer with a Data Engineering focus reporting to the Engineering Manager of the Domain Events Squad, Sean McNeil. The Domain Events Squad sits under Platform Services and is a team of collaborative engineers who value creating high quality, high impact core services. In this role you will work closely with other Platform Services engineers such as Omar Sulehria, Chris Rolfs, and Vivek Tripathi as well as many other product and data engineers (aka our customers!) across the company.
We are building a new real-time event pipeline (Domain Event Platform) to form the basis of asynchronous collaboration and data sharing between services and our data platform. We are looking for a Software Engineer with strong Data Engineering and Ops experience to help us scale the Domain Event Platform as we ramp up its usage in production. You will have the opportunity to be in the heart of our next-generation architecture initiative.Your Role
We’re excited for you to work on:
- Helping to evolve our overall event-driven architecture, applying concepts from domain-driven design and other architectural patterns to build a scalable foundation for product and data teams.
- Designing, developing, and deploying performant event pipelines that provide core functionality to product and data engineering teams.
- Creating a registry and owning data standards for event schemas.
- Refactoring systems, services, and tools to better handle increases in volume and scale.
- You prefer taking projects from inception to completion and are outcome oriented.
- You act with empathy when partnering with fellow engineers and coworkers.
- You have 3-6 years experience in building web applications with a focus on data management.
- You are familiar with and passionate about software architecture patterns, such as Domain-Driven Design, Clean Code/Architecture, Event Driven Architecture, etc.
- You have experience scaling applications.
- You have interest in data, automation and Ops.
- You appreciate good documentation and procedures.
- You are proud of your craft, and enjoy and value clean code that scales to keep large teams productive.
- Kubernetes, Terraform, GCP
- PostgreSQL, Redis, Pub/Sub
- Ruby on Rails, GoLang
$126,039 - $180,056
- Stock: Ownership in a fast-growing company.
- Hub-Based Remote Work: Handshakers can enjoy the flexibility of remote work whilst ensuring in-person collaboration, and team experiences remain possible.
- Financial Management with Origin: We provide you with a professional financial planner via Origin to gain a better understanding of making the most of your compensation, equity, benefits, and perks.
- Paid Parental Leave: All new parents at Handshake (both birth and non-birth giving) are encouraged to take time to focus on their growing family and are eligible for paid family leave. US Handshakers are provided up to 16 weeks of paid family leave for birth-giving parents and 10 weeks for non-birth-giving parents.
- Mental Health Assistance: We are here to support you in every step of your mental health journey; our benefits include Employee Assistance Programs that offer counseling support for those eligible.
- Home Office Stipend: Handshake offers $500/£360 for you to spend on setting up a productive and comfortable workspace at home.
- Learning: Learning & Development opportunities and an annual $2,000/£1,500 stipend for you to grow your skills and career.
- Team Bonding: Regularly scheduled virtual company-wide and team events! Once it’s safe, we’ll provide meaningful connection points throughout the year for Handshakers to build community and meet teammates in person.
- Great team: Working with fun, hardworking, nice people who are committed to making a difference!
- 401k: We care about your ability to save for your future. Launching Spring 2022, Handshake will offer a dollar-for-dollar match on 1% of deferred salary, up to a maximum of $1,200 per year.
- Healthcare: World-class medical, dental, and vision policies including LGTBQ+ Coverage.
- 2022 Time Off: All full-time US-based Handshakers are eligible for our flexible time off policy to get out and see the world. We also offer 8 standardized holidays, 2 additional days of flexible holiday time off, and 2 one-week periods of Collective Time Off (7/4-7/8/2022) and (12/26-12/30/2022).
- Pension: Handshake matches 3% of your salary towards your pension scheme.
- Healthcare: Handshake's comprehensive healthcare policy covers 100% of employee premiums & 100% of dependent premiums for medical, dental, and vision benefits.
- 2022 Time Off: Up to 25 days of vacation to encourage people to reset, recharge, and refresh, in addition to 8 bank holidays throughout the year.