Software Engineer, Backend at Rachio
Rachio is hiring a Backend Software Engineer to build features and continue improving our microservice architecture as we grow our network of connected devices and launch new products. In this role, you will report to the Director of Engineering and work on a cross-functional team that makes impactful decisions for our exciting new initiatives.
At Rachio, we continuously strive to increase the intelligence of our platform in order to make water use sustainable, effortless, and rewarding for our customers. In the process, we are changing the way people think about irrigation controller hardware in the B2C and B2B sectors, and showing them the power of software. We are looking for a talented engineer to spearhead our next wave of intelligence offerings powered by a suite of big data integrations that will inform our watering algorithms and further improve our customer experience.
Our software engineers enjoy working collaboratively and take pride in high quality work. In this role you will contribute to design, architecture, and implementation of new product ecosystems. You will have deep technical skills, be a self-starter, emphasize detail and quality, and be passionate about having a large impact on a small team revving up its next wave of growth.
Rachio’s backend services are written in Java. Our cloud infrastructure is built on AWS and we leverage everything from Amazon Aurora to ElasticSearch to AWS IoT. We utilize serverless design whenever appropriate and bias towards an event driven architecture. Our data infrastructure consists of third party ETL tools, S3, Athena, AWS EMR, Spark, and Snowflake.
- Design and implement end-to-end features in a microservice architecture to support new software services.
- Drive the ideation and architecture for our feature pack ecosystem in collaboration with a Product Manager and other technical subject matter experts.
- Continue to evolve our backend infrastructure by incorporating Kubernetes, Docker, and App Mesh networking to fully realize a world class IoT platform.
- Work autonomously in a high performing team while managing individual project priorities, deadlines and deliverables.
- Contribute to the support of our back end platform, including dev ops, system and code debugging, and general system maintenance.
- Your code is clear, testable and maintainable.
- Solid programming fundamentals: common design patterns, data structures, object-oriented principles utilizing JVM languages (Java 7 and/or Java 8 preferred)
- Experience with Tomcat/Jetty, Spring/Dropwizard, and JPA/Hibernate/JDBI
- Interest in reactive & functional programming
- Relational, NoSQL, and time series database experience
- Ability to work in a fast paced agile development environment
- Familiarity with dev ops and Amazon Web Services
- Experience with continuous deployment, test automation, and test-driven development practices (JUnit and/or TestNG)
- Experience building data pipelines a plus
- Solid understanding of data lake, data warehouse, and ETL ecosystems a plus
- Salary based on experience and within early stage company structures.
- Stock options.
Benefits and Perks
- Rachio covers 100% of employee premiums and 60% of dependent premiums for the following insurance plans:
- United Health Care PPO 1000 plan
- Aetna Dental 100 Group
- Aetna EyeMed Group Insurance
- We have a variety of other plans to choose from. However, if you select a plan with a higher premium you would be responsible for covering the difference in cost
- Due to COVID-19, Rachio is currently fully remote. We are exploring our options for in-person engagement for 2021 and are open to this being a full-time remote position.
- 401(k) plan (not matching)
- Unlimited vacation
- Relaxed dress code
Rachio is a mission-based startup striving to make sustainable water use effortless and rewarding. A category leader within the smart home industry, our revolutionary smart sprinkler controllers, wireless flow meter and best-in-class app technology make it easy for homeowners to balance personal goals with efficient, transparent water use. With a passion for innovation, we are continuously innovating to develop products that homeowners love and solve meaningful problems with technology. Together, the Rachio community has saved *billions* of gallons of water - and counting.
We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, and do great work together. As an equal opportunity employer, we prohibit any unlawful discrimination against a job applicant on the basis of their race, color, religion, veteran status, sex, parental status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetic information. We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC and are dedicated to going above and beyond in fostering diversity across our company.