Software Development Manager
Church Community Builder is a company with a purpose - We help churches grow disciples. We do that by creating world-class software and partnering with churches to engage people and make an impact on the world. With over 16 years in the industry, Church Community Builder is a trusted partner to over 4,000 churches and growing.
Our culture is professionally casual, where we all work hard and play hard together. You will serve alongside some of the best teammates in the industry who exhibit integrity, respect, and fun. We value our culture and our relationships and provide unique opportunities like staff retreats, company meals, and weekly Q&A session with the CEO to develop a close-knit team atmosphere. We look for people who love solving problems, love to engage in possibilities, and are hungry for results. If you have these qualities and are passionate about changing the world, we'd love to meet you!
The purpose of the Software Development Manager role is to lead a team of application developers at Church Community Builder.
As a Software Development Manager, your primary job responsibility is to support the developers you lead here at Church Community builder. That includes attracting and retaining talent, building an engaging work culture, and supporting your team as they contribute to Church Community Builder’s product development goals.
Ideally, you will grow and mentor your team members in their software development skills, as well as their soft skills. In order to do that effectively, some of your role will be “hands on” - you’ll need to be able to pair and partner with your team members on projects in flight, and use your experiences and observations working with them to help them grow.
In order to do that well, prior recent software development in a team based environment and using modern programming practices is a must. You will lead developers that will be growing our web-based SaaS product that is built on a LAMP stack and uses Reactjs/React Native for our front end. Prior experience with those specific technologies is helpful but is not strictly required.
In addition to your people leadership responsibilities, you’ll also be a contributing member of the Software and Technology Leadership team that is responsible for guiding the strategic direction of the entire department. Experiences that you have in software development, hosting, DevOps, security, agile, and other fields related to building and maintaining a SaaS product will be very helpful.
What you'll need:
- 6+ years software development experience working in one or more general purpose programming languages.
- Past experience with defining developer process, best practices, and serving as lead developer on projects.
- Past experience working either web application development, mobile application development, or both.
- Proficiency communicating (in English) verbally and in written form, both one on one and in a group setting.
- Significant experience working in Agile, Scrum, Kanban or similar incremental, team based methodology.
What will set you apart:
- Prior software development leadership experience, either in a managerial role or leading as an individual contributor (such as a tech lead, architect or similar role).
- Past experience working in an XP environment that includes practices such as Test Driven Development (TDD), paired programming, refactoring and continuous integration.
- Past experience working within web based software development, and in particular a SaaS product/company.
- Experience with AWS technologies commonly found in a typical LAMP stack (RDS, EC2, S3, etc)
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field helpful.
What you’ll get:
- Comprehensive health insurance
- Vision and Dental insurance
- 401K matching
- Profit Sharing
- Paid Time Off
- Company-paid staff retreats
- In-house workout facility
- Twice a month All Staff breakfasts or lunches
- James 1:27 - up to 5 consecutive paid days to serve widows, orphans or vulnerable single-parent homes
FLSA Status: Exempt
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those which must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this role, the associate is regularly required to stand or sit, reach, bend, and move about the facility. The facility is a normal office environment with variation of temperature and lighting.
Church Community Builder reserves the right to review and change all role descriptions, at its sole discretion, and to notify the respective associate accordingly