This may be a remote role, which can sit in any of the following 25 states: AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, GA, ID, IL, KS, MA, MD, MI, MN, NC, NJ, NY, OR, PA, TN, TX, SC, VA, WA, and WI. Please only apply if you are able to live and work full-time in one of the states listed above. State locations and specifics subject to change as our hiring requirements shift.
Guild is hiring Software Architects to help us build our next-generation platform which will power the next few waves of massive growth while also managing, maintaining and operating our existing systems.
We are looking for seasoned engineers who are effectively able to work up, down and across our engineering organization and systems. We need someone who asks “why,” and is not afraid to “wade in ambiguity” to help drive technical decision-making for Guild. Someone who will roll up their sleeves, provide technical expertise and counsel, and will deliver outstanding technical solutions to our hardest architecture problems. This role will require a focus on both how we design, build and manage sophisticated systems and also the thoughtful delivery of new sophisticated systems.As an Architect, you will:
- Collaborate with other Architects and Engineering Leaders to lead teams in requirements definition, domain modeling, design, architecture evaluation and implementation of Guild’s systems and services.
- Define and document patterns, standards and practices for engineering teams.
- Apply systems thinking to our architecture and technology to drive optimizations for speed of delivery, quality, and maintainability.
- Works across the engineering organization to foster a culture of architecture that encourages and supports iterative, autonomous development and future scaling.
- Partnering with our InfoSec team, refine our organizational security strategy while encouraging a security first demeanor across the organization.
- Guide the engineering teams in anticipation of future needs and shape design decisions that minimize the cost of future changes.
- Meet our business needs by collaborating with business partners to define and deliver our Technology and Product Roadmap
- Ensure high functioning distributed systems by defining and refining our domain models in collaboration with engineering and product teams.
- Challenge our business and technical status quo to help create new product capabilities by creatively changing technical strategy or overcoming constraints.
- Role model engineering standard methodologies and provide exceptional technical direction to teams.
- Own organizational architecture practices and processes as well as their continuous improvement.
- Ensure we are ready for what may come tomorrow.
- A long history of being a teammate whom people trust and love working with.
- 12 + years of engineering experience with a relevant degree or experience.
- Worked at the confluence of agile Application Development, Data Governance, and Micro-service Architecture Design and Development
- Expertise building and owning multiple services and APIs—data modeling, unit and integration testing, and continuous integration and deployment (CI/CD).
- Deep expertise with many technologies like Redshift, Redis, Java, Scala, Spark, Kafka, Python, S3, and PostgreSQL.
- Expertise with technologies like cloud platforms (AWS, GCP, Azure), database/ETL technologies (Postgres, NoSQL, Snowflake), queuing, messaging (Kinesis, RabbitMQ, MQ Series, Kafka), and modern source control (Git / Github) practices.
- A commitment to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to effectively explain technical concepts to other engineers, analysts, product managers, and partners.
- Demonstrated curiosity and interest in keeping up and experimenting with new technologies.
- Willingness to embrace change and work within a fast-paced environment.
- Passion for higher education and our mission.
Guild is growing economic mobility for working adults by partnering with the largest employers in the country to offer education as a benefit to their employees via our marketplace of nonprofit universities and education institutions. Guild’s proprietary technology platform facilitates the administration of this innovative benefit and our team of coaches helps each employee navigate the path back to school, providing individualized support from day one through program completion.
Guild is a female-led, Certified B Corporation - and with a valuation of $3.8 billion is one of the highest-valued, privately held education companies in the world, and the only one led by a woman. Guild's investors include Ken Chenault, General Catalyst Partners, chairman and former CEO of American Express, Emerson, LeadEdge Capital, and Iconiq.
Guild Education is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an expansive environment for all employees. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let your recruiter know. Additionally, we feel passionately about equal pay for equal work, and transparency in compensation is one vehicle to achieve that. Total compensation for this role is market driven, including a base salary range of $195,000 - $217,500, as well as company stock options.
- Access to low-cost, high-quality health care options through Cigna and Kaiser (due to coverage limitations, Kaiser is currently only available in CA & CO)
- Access to a 401k to help save for the future
- We provide 3 weeks of vacation in the first year and an open vacation policy after year 1 to help recharge
- We provide 8 days of fully-paid sick leave, to take the time to heal and or recover
- We provide family-friendly benefits, including 14 weeks of parental leave, employer-paid short-term and long-term disability, employer-sponsored life insurance, and fertility care benefits.
- We provide well-rounded wellness benefits including access to free and low cost mental health resources and support services
- We offer education benefits and tuition assistance to help your future development and growth