Software Application Engineer (Embedded)
The Software Application Engineer would be responsible for helping customers and partners understand, adopt and deploy a solution stack to solve for their business opportunity. The solution stack will represent some combination or all of the sensory layer, Local Area Network, Embedded Control, Network Layer, Wide Area Network, Data Platform (on-Premise, Private, Public or Hybrid Cloud) and Security (at the edge, network and enterprise) layer. You will ensure the software binds the stack from drivers to OS to middleware to protocols to API’s to enterprise software.
The position requires technically supporting customers and partners as well as driving industry requirements back into the Arrow business units and partners for future product development and solutions support. You will be able to answer questions and guide customers surrounding embedded software, standards, technologies and protocols, Gateway integration and connectivity are fundamental to success.
This role will collaborate closely with IoT Solution Architects, Systems Engineers and Field Application teams within the geographies, partners and customers in the customer value chain including but not limited to OEM’s, service enterprises, system integrators, independent software vendors and managed service providers.
Daily activities will include definition of solutions with Solution Architects outlining development requirements and anticipating points of complexity for risk mitigation. The Software Applications Engineer is responsible for the full life-cycle development of the IoT Solution, from solution definition with Architect to integration and production readiness. Responsibilities includes software requirements gathering, product assessment, evaluation and recommendation, (hardware, software, ODM/OEMs, 3rd party hardware/software vendors, system integrators, etc.), prototype development, pilot and production-readiness with partners, and solution support. You will work closely with partners to integrate and validate product requirements for the solution, analyze gaps, and make application and system recommendations, as needed.
Responsibilities/Principal Accountabilities/Job Complexities–
- You speed time to revenue for our customers and Arrow. You reduce the time from definition to deployment and remove obstacles or fix errors to delight the customer. You make IoT implementations easy for customers.
- Working with your colleagues such as: IoT Business Development, IoT Solution Architects, Systems Engineers and IoT Technical Marketing you solve for business solutions required by OEM’s, ISV’s, SI’s, and ecosystem partners.
- Significant expertise with IDE’s (Eclipse, Kell, mbed, etc.) as well as development platforms (Arduino, Dragonboard, Raspberry PI, Unity, Linaro 96 boards)
- Significant experience with BSP’s
- Capable of writing a simple driver
- Experience in security, encryption, or developing mobile apps or application layer solutions is a plus
- Knowledge of the effects of using open source code and how that may affect a customer
- Deep understanding of protocol stacks and implementation (both wired and wireless)
- Adept at building Proof-of-concept systems with functional cloud connectivity
- Able to create professional, visually impressive presentations with content appropriate for an intended audience
- Adept at presenting slides to executive management or conveying concepts to hardware engineers
- BS in Computer Science/Engineering, EE or related technical field
- We seek candidates with 10 years minimum experience in a software development or integration role.
Preferred Education & Experience
- Experience in software development and integration within one of the following verticals is a plus: Industries and Factories, Retail and Commercials, Smart City and Buildings, Agriculture, Transportation and Telematics, Healthcare.