Site Reliability Engineer at NetApp
NetApp is the data authority for hybrid cloud. We provide a full range of hybrid cloud data services that simplify management of applications and data across cloud and on-premises environments to accelerate digital transformation. Together with our partners, we empower global organizations to unleash the full potential of their data to expand customer touchpoints, foster greater innovation, and optimize their operations.
NetApp SolidFire Site Reliability Engineers SRE team is a world-class group of talented engineers that design, build and operate state-of-the-art software solutions, platforms and technology. SREs contribute to this effort by owning the tools and initiatives for scaling the systems we support, optimizing performance, and improving the reliability and availability of our systems while delivering these services to our CI/CD pipeline users.
About the Role
As an SRE, you will work as part of an innovative and fun team responsible for building resilient operations and systems development environments supporting the CI/CD pipelines while we extend our services toward building IaaS and PaaS domains. There will be a focus on new product development along with introducing enhancements to existing products/services, and so, you should be comfortable with taking on new engineering challenges, defining and designing solutions, and implementing solutions working in a team environment.
What You’ll Do
- You will partner with product engineering, operations teams and other SREs to deliver products/services through IaaS and/or PaaS via configuration/performance management, monitoring and alerting tools.
- You will deliver applications/services that will support an automated build process (containers, microservices or bare metal)
- You will optimize performance and solve issues across the entire stack: hardware, software, application, and network.
- You will identify and drive opportunities to improve automation for the company.
- You will represent the SRE organization in design reviews and operational readiness exercises for new and existing services. This will include attending and giving presentations to internal staff and when required external customers.
Who You Are?
- You have a passion and desire to solving problems related to scaling staging/production systems by designing and developing hardware/software solutions at scale
- You have a deep understanding of systems and application design, including engineering and operational trade-offs of various designs and/or solutions
- You have applied knowledge of various aspects of service design and delivery that encompasses hybrid, public and private clouds delivering orchestration of containerization and microservices
- You have a broad understanding of networking protocols & behavior, caching strategies and software design practices
- You are adaptable, solutions oriented, and work very well in a team setting
- You have a track record of successful practical problem solving, excellent written and social communication, and documentation skills
- You can prioritize tasks, work independently, and call out exceptions effectively
- You have experience working in Lean/Kanban/Scrum environments and familiarity with SAFe practices
You should have experience with
- Troubleshooting core engineering services including DNS, DHCP, PXE, and LDAP
- Providing operational support to feature development and architecture teams, when required
- Script development in any of the following languages (Go, Python, Ruby, Bash)
- Linux System Administration
- File systems (NFS, LVM, etc.)
- Experience managing Bind DNS, DHCP, PXE in a distributed environment
- Debian / Ubuntu distributions
- Storage Management
- Cloud/On prem solutions
- Basic Networking
- Linux operating system networking
- VMware Experience
- Virtual Switching (Standard and Distributed)
- Storage as it pertains to VMware
- Monitoring Tools implementation and configuration (Any of the below tools)
- Configuration Management / Containerization (any of the below tools)
- 5+ years of experience in field.
- Experience automating storage management with SolidFire products (Bonus)
- Ability to design, build, and operate a technology stack
- Experience with Linux (Debian/Ubuntu, Red Hat/CentOS)
- Implementing automation technologies and tools across the software development lifecycle from requirements to development to testing and operations
- Ability to communicate effectively, both written and orally, in a professional manner
- Ability to multi-task, be a strong team player, and have strong organizational skills and time management skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills and an ability to find, troubleshoot, and resolve issues using whatever outside resources (i.e. research) are required
- Demonstrable knowledge of TCP/IP, HTTP, web application security, and experience supporting multi-tier web application architectures
- Experience with public cloud offerings such as AWS, Google Cloud and Microsoft Azure
- Experience with K8s/Docker container technologies
- Experience with Jenkins or similar technologies
- Experience with Ansible or similar technologies
- Familiar with Bitbucket/GIT source control
What You'll Love About Us
- Our Culture: It’s our culture and our people. If you ask anyone at NetApp why they work here, the answer is inevitably the same: it’s the people.
- Our Location: We have a beautiful Boulder office, with amazing Flatiron views, on the vibrant downtown Pearl Street.
- Health Benefits: NetApp provides comprehensive medical, dental, wellness, and vision plans for you and your family.
- Financial and Savings Programs: Whether it’s flexible spending, stock purchases, or competitive retirement plans, we work with you to capitalize on total compensation now and into the future.
- Work Life balance and more: To make sure of work-life balance, we offer paid and volunteer time off, educational assistance, legal services, and access to discounts and fitness centers.
- Global Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging: We fully embrace and advance a diverse, inclusive global workforce with a culture of belonging that leverages the backgrounds of all to cultivate a higher performing organization.
At NetApp, we take care of each other, our customers, our partners, and our communities simply because it’s the right thing to do. Along the way, we’ve repeatedly transformed businesses and set industry standards. Join us, and we’ll help each other do our best work!