About Boom Supersonic
Boom Supersonic is the Denver-based startup bringing supersonic flight back to the skies with Overture. As the world’s fastest airliner, Overture is designed and committed to industry-leading standards of speed, safety and sustainability. Flights twice as fast as today’s commercial airplanes, means we can go twice as far—bringing more people, places, and cultures into our lives.
Boom is the first commercial airplane manufacturer to commit to a carbon-neutral flight test program and to build sustainability into its entire aircraft program. Founded in 2014, Boom has assembled a team of over 140 full-time employees who have made contributions to over 220 air and spacecraft programs.
Are you passionate about building the future of transportation? Help us make aviation history.
We are seeking a modeling and simulation engineer to join our engineering team. You will own the development of the piloted aircraft simulator including software, hardware, control room interface, and related tasks. This position requires the development of aircraft system and flight dynamics models in Matlab and Simulink. Critical to this role is the ability to develop a fundamental understanding of a complex system, distill its functions and modes of operations, and design a representative mathematical model.
Examples of system models include a supersonic inlet and propulsion system, rudder actuation and control system, and aircraft landing gear. This role will also be responsible for the development of the modeling standards and baseline architecture by which all systems will be modeled.
You will be exposed to all aspects of aircraft systems and performance and will help develop the models used to evaluate the aircraft and train test pilots.
- 3-8 years industry experience, including experience working with aircraft or spacecraft
- Experience with aircraft simulation and modeling
- Experience and willingness to own and manage a complex system including software, hardware, and interactions with multiple stakeholders and support personnel
- Ability to derive fundamental equations of operation for complex systems
- Expertise with MATLAB, Simulink, Simscape, and code generation
- Proficiency in C and C++
- Experience developing automated software test suites
- Demonstrated curiosity and ability to learn outside of core discipline
It would be great if you had
- Experience with manned or unmanned experimental aircraft development and flight testing
- Working understanding of an aircraft software development standard
- Control and automation design and analysis experience
- Experience with optimization methods and/or machine learning
Degrees and Certifications
- An undergraduate degree in aerospace, mechanical engineering, applied mathematics, physics, or computer science is required
- A master’s degree is preferred, but not required
To conform to U.S. Government aerospace technology export regulations (ITAR and EAR), applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here (https://www.pmddtc.state.gov/?id=ddtc_public_portal_itar_landing)
Boom is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
Want to build a faster future? Come join Boom.
Read Full Job Description