Senior Supplier Quality Engineer - REMOTE PART TIME at Ball Aerospace
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Security and Mission Assurance Strategic Support Unit provides discriminating support to the business to ensure success. We focus on threat identification, risk assessment, and mitigation while improving the efficiency of the business through effective governance and analysis of process, data and overall business knowledge.
Senior Supplier Quality Engineer – REMOTE PART TIME
As a Senior Supplier Quality Engineer who has extensive experience in supplier quality and/or manufacturing engineering this position will utilize your expertise to improve the quality and delivery of supplier products. You will resolve delivery issues and manage supplier corrective actions. You will need to be a self-starter who has a drive for knowledge, willing and able to train others, and have a passion to learn and improve supplier systems and products. This is a very visible position to the organization and plays an important part at Ball Aerospace and in the Aerospace and Defense industry!
In this position, you are the resource responsible for the technical supplier performance relationship at the front end of the Integrated Supply Chain – where production material is sourced, where it enters the product realization process, and upon where the company relies to ensure compliant parts are delivered on time. You will be a part of Ball’s procurement risk management that enables our competitive edge and reduces the risk to programs, our customers, and the warfighter.
This position requires 100% remote setting in and around the Southern California region, and 50% travel. In this position you will be the resource responsible for the technical supplier performance onsite at Ball suppliers within this region. In addition, this position will require Customer Source Inspections (CSI) as required.
Ball Suppliers may include but not limited to:
- Printed Wiring Assemblies/Printed Wiring Boards (PWA/PWB) [Primary Suppliers]
- Cable/Harness Assemblies
- Flex Circuits (Space Grade Heaters)
- Mechanical fixtures
- Wire Bonding
- Focal Plane Arrays
What You’ll Do:
- Manage and develop suppliers delivering Printed Wiring Boards, Printed Wiring Assemblies, and related parts and services.
- Be the subject matter expert in PWB construction and PWA assemblies - troubleshoot, recommend, and mitigate manufacturing, material, and process issues.
- Proficiently utilize electronic manufacturing information systems including the Quality Management System (QMS), Manufacturing Resource Planning (MRP) system, Product Data Management (PDM) system, and other various databases that control and monitor supplier performance.
- Perform supply chain quality engineering functions including supplier evaluations, on-site system assessments, product realization capability and capacity reviews, and supplier corrective actions (SCARs).
- Use your expertise of technical specifications and supplier manufacturing processes to troubleshoot and resolve supplier fault issues.
- Assess supplier risk and facilitate improvements in counterfeit part prevention in the supply chain, support and work cross-functionally with engineering, supply management, inspection and production for all phases, systems, programs and or products from less complicated, single focus activities to extremely complex and highly diverse activities
- Assess supplier cybersecurity systems, risk management, and root cause and corrective action processes.
- Work collaboratively with Supply Chain and Engineering on strategic sourcing teams to improve sourcing decisions, improve the supply base and selection of available suppliers, and affect improvements when necessary.
- Review drawings, procedures and engineering orders for completeness and suggest improvements to ensure supplier success.
- Provide system and technical training to other team members and may have direct reports within commodity teams.
- May lead, mentor and train a team of Supplier Quality Engineers within the assigned commodity(s).
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 8 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Experience and proficiency in performing on-site quality system assessments and evaluating suppliers' ability to produce the needed products, processes, or services. Consideration will be given to internal audit experience in lieu of supplier system assessments.
- Experience in supply chain quality engineering and/or hardware quality engineering. Experience in other areas will be considered provided there is a supplier and/or quality component.
- Experience and proficiency in performing on-site quality system assessments and evaluating suppliers' ability to produce the needed products, processes, or services. Consideration will be given to internal audit experience to supplement supplier system assessments.
- Experience and proficiency with Microsoft Office.
- Proficiency of ISO and AS9100 requirements.
- Extensive experience with PWB fabrication and PWA assembly including resolving construction failures, high frequency testing, inspection and inspection equipment, and industry knowledge preferred.
- Proficiency with SharePoint, Oasis, Costpoint, and advanced Microsoft Excel preferred.
- Extensive experience in the Aerospace and Defense industry preferred.
- Experience with Statistical Process Control, LEAN, and Six Sigma preferred.
- ASQ Certifications such as Certified Supplier Quality Professional, Certified Manager of Quality/ Organizational Excellence, Certified Quality Engineer, or Certified Six Sigma Green/Black Belt preferred.
- Experience in project management functions desired and working participation with strategic sourcing teams.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or cleanroom, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Relocation for this position is not available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $115,000 - $145,000 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP MAY BE REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.