Outrider, the pioneer in autonomous yard operations for logistics hubs, helps large enterprises improve safety and increase efficiency. The only company exclusively focused on automating all aspects of yard operations, Outrider eliminates manual tasks that are hazardous and repetitive. Outrider’s mission is to drive the rapid adoption of sustainable freight transportation by deploying zero-emission systems. Outrider is a private company backed by NEA, 8VC, Koch Disruptive Technologies, and other top-tier investors. For more information, visit www.outrider.ai
The Senior Software System Test Engineer will report to the Director of System Test and will be responsible for executing a variety of software- and system-level tests on the entire Outrider system or its subsystems, which include: electric vehicle (EV) platform, AV sensors and compute, robotic manipulation, and site infrastructure. The test environment scope for this role includes simulation, hardware-in-the-loop (HIL) bench, and autonomous trucks.
This position plays an essential role in helping deliver a safety-critical system for logistics automation. The opportunity offers a very talented, self-starting engineer the chance to help develop a market-defining enterprise product that combines autonomous vehicle technology with a software-as-a-service (SaaS) business model.
The ideal candidate will embrace our goal to drive zero-emission, self-driving vehicle adoption, and help us realize our potential to define, build, and lead a new, category of robotic automation for the enterprise.
Duties and responsibilities
- Design, organize and conduct software system tests to verify and validate the performance and safety characteristics of the entire system or subsystems, including software, robotic manipulators, EV truck and multi-modal sensor suite
- Architect and implement test plans and procedures on a variety of software system tests that stress the product in ways that represent real-world customer use cases
- Lead day-to-day test activities, debug issues with the test environments, and develop new test capability by working hands-on at the relevant HIL benches, AVs, and simulation platforms
- Conduct detailed root-cause analysis on issues found during testing using common problem solving methods; document all findings in JIRA
- Develop data analysis scripts and visualization tools to quickly extract key learnings and trends from software testing
- Effectively communicate test results and issues to the Software System Test lead and peers in Engineering
- Drive and advise Engineering teams on how to approach and implement strong, testable software and system requirements based on test results
- Define software and hardware test harnesses and work with mechanical and electrical engineering personnel to implement them
- Embody a "Safety Steward" mindset - hold all co-workers accountable for safety on test trucks, equipment, and areas, and proactively propose safety improvements
- Work with the team to understand and prioritize test exceptions and help drive toward a product that meets all customer, business, and technical expectations
- Travel as needed to perform field work, training, or customer support (up to 20%)
- 7+ years' experience testing integrated software/hardware systems such as robotics, autonomous vehicles, or other automotive/aerospace products
- Experience developing or using a software simulation test environment
- Software development engineer in test (SDET) background, or equivalent experience
- Proven capability in problem-solving complex systems, software, or robotics
- Experience with the software development life cycle, modern software/hardware/system testing methods, and continuous integration
- BS or MS in Engineering or Computer Science or a similar discipline
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical, curious mindset
- Sterling references
- Experience with autonomous trucks or other automated distribution yard products
- Experience developing or using hardware-in-the-loop (HIL) test benches
- Experience with Jenkins, JIRA and Confluence
- Experience in ROS
- Experience with C++ and Python
- Comfortable with Linux and command-line interface
Salary range of $110,000 - $150,000. For benefits, check this out!