Senior Software Engineer at Xero
What you’ll do
- Create software - Care deeply about customer problems and technical excellence, develop high quality and scalable software, and coach others to do the same. Relentlessly automate any manual processes. Contribute to technical solution designs that embrace a quality-first approach. Participate in code reviews as a role model for giving and receiving feedback.
- Test software - Design and perform sophisticated testing activities that effectively and efficiently reveal product quality across a range of risk areas and quality criteria. Coach team members to enable high quality testing in line with Xero’s quality strategy and standards.
- Resolve issues - Efficiently assess the causes and identify solutions for development or production issues, and effectively communicate the impact to stakeholders. Recognize common patterns of failure to mitigate issues before they reach production. Proactively participate in incident responses and contribute to post-mortems.
- Engineering standards & frameworks - Contribute to Xero's engineering standards and frameworks. Work closely with the Lead and Principal Engineers to apply standards to software and delivery processes.
- Continuous improvement - Proactively maintain, grow and share knowledge of development technologies used in the development of Xero’s software applications.
- Deliver infrastructure in a production environment - Champion automation of delivery processes. Coach and support engineers to ensure all software is running as expected and proactively works to prevent customer facing problems.
- Modern software and delivery practices - Be a proactive champion of agile and delivery practices who coaches and develops others in this space in order to ensure a consistent approach to ways of working.
- Recruitment - Participate in interviews and recruitment processes.
How you’ll do it
- Live Xero’s vision and values - Keep Xero’s vision and values at the forefront of decision-making and actions. Communicate and help others understand the importance of the vision and values. Translate the vision and values into day-to-day activities and behaviors.
- Communication skills - Proactively share information, actively solicit feedback, respectfully challenge the status quo, manage and facilitate communication if needed.
- Build relationships - Successfully build trust and credibility with stakeholders and team. Be seen as a key 'go to' person for advice.
- Growth mindset - Understand that competency is not fixed but is enhanced through dedication and hard work. Coach and provide feedback to others on development plans.
- Innovation and delivery - Proactively innovate and deliver technology in a team and solve customer problems through software.
- Coaching and mentorship - Teach small groups of engineers and contribute to Xero's shared knowledge base.
- Work collaboratively - Help individuals resolve difficult problems with empathy, exchange ideas, demonstrate conflict management skills.
- Self-learning - Maintains in-depth knowledge of advances and learnings in technologies relevant to Xero’s engineering environment.
What you’ll bring with you
- Proven ability to contribute to internal ecosystems, build SDKs and libraries to enable other teams to integrate with their products.
- Able to debug across the entire Xero technology stack to unblock the team.
- Able to make major code design decisions for individual products.
- Highly proficient in the architecture and implementation of distributed systems. Ability to refactor complex, monolithic systems into scalable, resilient components.
- Proficient with CI/CD concepts and tooling.
- Strong advocate and teacher of TDD and automated tooling to safely and repeatedly release code.
- Ability to review and coordinate team processes to improve quality and strengthen feedback loops.