Senior Software Engineer - Ruby on Rails at FRONTSTEPS
Headquartered in Denver, Colorado with additional offices in Arizona and California, FRONTSTEPS is a SaaS company with a resident engagement platform to empower communities to be safe, informed, and efficient. More than 23,000 communities nationwide — that’s 4.4 million homeowners — are covered by FRONTSTEPS services! We deliver solutions that simplify how management companies, homeowner associations, builders, and security & patrol experts build, connect, operate, and secure modern communities. With a focus on mobile-first technology and best-in-class integrations, our products make it easy for community leaders and homeowners to communicate, collaborate, and drive a more prosperous community.
FRONTSTEPS is guided by the core values of 1) developing our people, 2) taking care of the customer at all times, 3) moving with purpose and urgency, 4) being open, honest, and transparent, 5) innovating and failing forward, and 6) being courageous.
As a Ruby on Rails Engineer at Frontsteps you’ll help shape a platform that millions of home community residents and property managers use every day.
You will be working with experienced, passionate programmers as part of the application team within a broader engineering organization with a strong technical culture. You will be expected to contribute not only to the back end (Ruby on Rails) code but also to the front-end code. We value a broad knowledge base and encourage our employees to develop a well-rounded skill set and be comfortable contributing to any part of the code base.
We work in agile scrum teams, which means you will be working closely with a smaller group of co-workers. We use daily stand-ups and put a strong emphasis on communication and knowledge-sharing. Within a Scrum team, although members may have more specialized areas of expertise, each person will contribute to all types of tasks - client-side code, server-side code, and some manual QA. A variety of community-of-practice groups are also active for conversation around specific topics. This position may be based remotely in the U.S. All candidates must be authorized to work in the U.S. without sponsorship.
- Design, build, and maintain efficient, reusable, and reliable Ruby code
- Integration of data storage solutions (i.e. PostgreSQL, Redis)
- Cross team collaboration with internal systems
- Write clean and functional front-end code
- Integration with 3rd party legacy systems via APIs and message buses
- Integration of user-facing elements developed by front-end developers with server side logic
- Identify bottlenecks and bugs, and devise solutions to these problems
- Code reviews and technical documentation
- Support product team by helping with planning and technical discussions
- Help maintain code quality, organization and automation
Skills & Qualifications:
- 5+ years of experience with Ruby/Ruby on Rails, along with other common libraries such as Devise, Sidekiq, Grape, ActiveAdmin, Pundit and Bootstrap
- Strong understanding of testing with the ability to implement unit, controller and system tests using RSpec
- Build, install and share gems and plugins
- Strong understanding of the syntax of Ruby and its nuances
- Solid understanding of object-oriented programming (i.e. SOLID)
- Good understanding of server-side templating languages (i.e. Liquid, Slim)
- Good understanding of server-side CSS preprocessors (i.e. Sass)
- Familiarity with concepts of MVC, Mocking, ORM, and RESTful
- A knack for writing clean, readable Ruby code
- Ability to integrate multiple data sources and databases into one system
- Understanding of fundamental design principles behind a scalable application
- Able to create database schemas that represent and support business processes
- Proficient understanding of GIT
- Familiarity with Azure, Auth0 and Docker will be a plus
This job is for you if you:
- Have web programming skills. You should have helped design, develop and maintain Ruby on Rails production web applications, and are familiar with the surrounding ecosystem.
- Believe in quality code. You should know how to balance your own high standards of code quality with the problems you are solving and external constraints like how time-sensitive it is or the impact it will have.
- Like solving problems. You are happy working through difficult technical problems and solving them in straight-forward ways. If you don't know the answer immediately, you will be comfortable digging into the problem until you figure it out and know when it's time to ask the right point to ask for assistance.
- Understand development processes. You are comfortable writing Git commits, pull requests and tests using tools like RSpec. You know how to tackle critiquing others code in a positive and productive way, and receiving the same sort of feedback.
- Are a good communicator. You should value empathy and kindness and be able to articulate your ideas and feelings when writing or speaking.
- Comfortable with working remotely. We are a remote-first company, so you will need to be comfortable working by yourself and taking initiative when team members are offline.
FRONTSTEPS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.