Senior Software Engineer - Remote at Xero
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
At Xero, our Data Reliability Engineering team is passionate about building reliable and trusted software. We do this by managing 24/7 operational database availability, by overseeing operational data risk and compliance globally, and by educating and consulting with product teams on how they design, build and operate their applications. As a Senior Software Engineer in Data Reliability, you will help improve Xero's maturity within the data compliance space by building platform products to support the services we provide and allow safe ways to view, manage and retrieve our operational data.
How you'll make an impact
- You'll help build and manage software that solves engineering problems at scale. You'll work in collaboration with other Xeros to help create and deliver beautiful software to our customers, faster.
- You'll undertake software application development on applications in our existing suite of products (including new ones), contributing to new or improved experiences for our customers, internal and external.
- You'll help maintain the standard for engineering excellence at Xero and support your team members in building products together. You'll demonstrate leadership on best practices, and be a role model and mentor for other team members. You'll contribute to our cross functional environment by working towards the same objectives, using modern principles and practices.
- You'll be enabled to seek clarity with technical complexities and be able to demonstrate smart ways to automate. You'll be able to make data-driven decisions that will release value early to solve Xero customers' problems more effectively.
What you'll do
- Create software - Care deeply about customer problems and technical excellence, develop high quality and scalable software, and coach others to do the same. Relentlessly automate any manual processes. Contribute to technical solution designs that embrace a quality-first approach. Participate in code reviews as a role model for giving and receiving feedback.
- Test software - Design and perform sophisticated testing activities that effectively and efficiently reveal product quality across a range of risk areas and quality criteria. Coach team members to enable high quality testing in line with Xero's quality strategy and standards.
- Resolve issues - Efficiently assess the causes and identify solutions for development or production issues, and effectively communicate the impact to stakeholders. Recognize common patterns of failure to mitigate issues before they reach production. Proactively participate in incident responses and contribute to post-mortems.
- Engineering standards & frameworks - Contribute to Xero's engineering standards and frameworks. Work closely with the Lead and Principal Engineers to apply standards to software and delivery processes.
- Continuous improvement - Proactively maintain, grow and share knowledge of development technologies used in the development of Xero's software applications.
- Deliver infrastructure in a production environment - Champion automation of delivery processes. Coach and support engineers to ensure all software is running as expected and proactively works to prevent customer facing problems.
- Modern software and delivery practices - Be a proactive champion of agile and delivery practices who coaches and develops others in this space in order to ensure a consistent approach to ways of working.
- Recruitment - Participate in interviews and recruitment processes
What you'll bring with you
- High level of experience with C# (.NET Core and/or .NET 5.0 preferred).
- Deep understanding of software engineering fundamentals.
- Proven ability to contribute to internal ecosystems, build SDKs and libraries to enable other teams to integrate with their products.
- Able to make major code design decisions for individual products.
- Able to debug across the entire Xero technology stack to unblock the team.
- Highly proficient in the architecture and implementation of distributed systems. Ability to refactor complex, monolithic systems into scalable, resilient components.
- Experience with coaching and mentoring others on their technical capabilities
- Ability to review and coordinate team processes to improve quality and strengthen feedback loops.
Xero celebrates diversity. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment where our employees can do the best work of their lives. We are committed to transparency and to equal pay for equal work. Total compensation for this role includes a base salary of $125,000 to $145,000, commensurate with experience, plus an annual grant of Xero shares, calculated as a percentage of base salary.
Xero offers access to low-cost, high-quality health care options through Cigna and Kaiser (in CA & CO only)
Xero will match 100% on the first 3% of 401k contributions plus 50% match on next 2% of contributions
Employees enjoy 21 days of paid time off per year
Employees also have 10 days of wellbeing leave to care for their minds, bodies, and families
US employees enjoy 11 paid holidays per year
Xero offers an industry-leading 26 weeks of parental leave at up to 100% pay
Xero offers a number of employee wellness programs, to include yoga, mindfulness and nutrition workshops, EAP, free flu shots, team meals, and a monthly wellbeing allowance
Diversity of people brings diversity of thought, and we like that. A collaborative and inclusive environment is important to us. Working at Xero will provide you with a diverse and inclusive environment alongside people who will respect, challenge and support you to have fun while you do the best work of your life. We are a place where personal development, flexible working, innovation, and well-being are not just inspired but celebrated. We value our people and offer a wide range of compelling benefits and perks, including Xero shares and great parental leave policies.
Xero's collaborative culture is underscored by our values - #Ownership, #Challenge, #Beautiful, #Human and #Team - which empower us to understand and serve customers, attract top talent and continuously innovate. From the moment you step through our doors, you'll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.
Please note that we currently require all employees and contractors to be vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to work from a Xero office, or engage in any face-to-face Xero business. Xero will work with anyone who is not vaccinated, or prefers not to disclose their vaccination status, to determine if any reasonable accommodations can be provided to ensure their role can be performed safely whilst the restriction is in place..