Outrider, the pioneer in autonomous yard operations for logistics hubs, helps large enterprises improve safety and increase efficiency. The only company exclusively focused on automating all aspects of yard operations, Outrider eliminates manual tasks that are hazardous and repetitive. Outrider’s mission is to drive the rapid adoption of sustainable freight transportation by deploying zero-emission systems. Outrider is a private company backed by NEA, 8VC, Koch Disruptive Technologies, and other top-tier investors. For more information, visit www.outrider.ai
We’re searching for a talented technical Senior Engineer who has developed and implemented planning software more or less from scratch for safety-critical, ground robotics applications as a technical lead.
You'll drive a category-defining motion planning capability that incorporates physics/kinematics, path planning, and trajectory optimization for an autonomous tractor-trailer combination capable of forward and reverse movement, including articulated backing, hitching/unhitching, and docking/undocking at warehouse loading docks.
The opportunity offers a very talented software engineer the chance to help develop a market-defining enterprise product that combines autonomous vehicle technology with a software-as-a-service (SaaS) business model.
The ideal candidate will embrace our goal to drive zero-emission, self-driving vehicle adoption, and help us realize our potential to define, build, and lead a new category of robotic automation for the enterprise.
Duties and responsibilities
- Design, implement, and test motion planning subsystems for autonomous ground-based vehicles
- Qualify motion planning performance using objective measures
- Understand and keep up-to-date with state of the art motion planning algorithms
- Identify opportunities for increasing performance and reducing hardware cost
- Master degree with commensurate experience in a related field
- 5+ years reading/writing/debugging C++ code
- Familiarity with Linux development and target environments
- Prior experience developing motion planning systems that have been used in a production ground-vehicle system, or an advanced research prototype (end-to-end, full lifecycle development preferred)
- Prior experience with optimal planning/control techniques (i.e. trajectory optimization and Model Predictive Control) or sampling-based path planning algorithms
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Exceptional analytical skills
- Demonstrated strong leadership and people skills
- Ability to read/write/debug Python
- Prior use of Git for software version control
- Experience with Robot Operating System (ROS) or other robotics messaging platform
- Experience designing and implementing safety critical systems.
Compensation & Benefits
- Salary range of $160,000 - $220,000. For benefits, check this out!
At Outrider, we believe in cultivating an environment where there is diversity of perspectives, experiences, and knowledge with the expectation that we thrive in an inclusive environment. Outrider is committed to a workforce where everyone's opportunities are limitless regardless of race, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, veteran status, or any others that are protected by law.